We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Returned from Paradise Beach Resort Roatan

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
2 reviews
Just Returned from Paradise Beach Resort Roatan

We have just returned from an incredible 2 weeks in Roatan. Here is the low down from the beginning from my perspective:

Sunwing Reps Patrick and Lucie:

Awesome, you couldn' ask for any better. They were always available to assist and checkin was quick and easy. We enjoyed a few cool ones with them at the bar and they are an awesome duo.

Hotel: Paradise Beach is rated at 3 star but this isnt reflective of the great service, staff and cleanliness of this hotel. It is a small facitlity that has 41 units. We experienced a problem with our door and reported it to the front desk. Within minutes the manager tracked us down and said the door was fixed but he was going to upgrade us to a suite. I said that wasn't necessary since the door was fixed but he insisted. The suite by the way, was very nice. The rooms were kept immaculate and we always had a surprise towel sculpture with flowers on our bed when we returned. The housekeepers work very hard in that heat. The grounds were raked regularly and also kept immaculately clean. As far as the staff, i didnt have one unpleasant experience with any of them...they would bend over backwards to keep you happy. It was hard to leave on the last day as we got very close to some of them.

Hotel Food: We booked an all inclusive and there is only one restaurant in this hotel chain of Henry Morgan hotels. They are all supplied by the cooks at the Henry Morgan. Each day, 3 times a day, the food is brought over on foot in scorching heat. The staff work very hard and it did not go unoticed.

By the time it reaches the buffett line, the food got cold and mushy. But in my perspective, I'm not there to eat, I just need enough to sustain life. There is always something to eat...the baked goods were always good. I had alot of cucumber sandwiches but thats ok...i love cucumber sandwiches! For breakfast they would make you an omellette. So we ate a good breakfast which usually held us to supper. And the bar always had something to munch on....usually pizza which wasnt great, but it filled the void. The rum punch was made with real pureed fruit and was very tasty and also filling. There were limited drinks availalbe but we went down to the store and picked up what we wanted that wasnt on the list.

Pasta and pizza are staples at every meal. As far as hot dogs in salad, yes we did see them twice. And someone mentioned they were sausages...being a mom...I know a hot dog when I see one and these were definatly hot dogs. So, if your budget can allow you to eat out, do it...there are several restaurants that are quite good and allow for a change of pace from the buffett. There is a deli and small restaurant at the mall to grab a sub and some chips for a quick snack. The ice cream there is awesome! Cool

Beans has great coffee and a nice breakfast sandwich as well.

Money: USD are widely accepted in fact our hotel didnt even carry lempiras. We used our CC or USD. Some places had prices in Lemps but always converted in to US on the bill as well...right now its easy to calculate, about 20 lemp is one dollar.

Beach: Two words- F*** AWESOME.

As far as sand flies, i'm not sure ...i was covered in some bites by something, but my husband didnt have one. I was told they could be sand flies, or from sea lice or plankton from snorkelling and my husband didn't go snorkelling. Whatever it is, they are itchy so be sure to pack some benadryl cream. Pack a first aid kit with immodium, bandaids, poly, pepto, gravol, benadryl, mosquitoe repellant, flashlights, sunburn remedy and whatever else you think you need. Ours came in handy and we left everything for the staff when we left as these things are quite expensive there.

Cruise Ships: Yes the beach does get busy some days but we found it entertaining. We met some people that worked on the boat and they told us what life on a cruiseship is like...very interesting.

Cayos Cochinos Tour: I don't think I would do this again. It was $150 per person for lunch and drinks and snorkelling around 3 small islands. I didnt see too much more exciting than I did around our hotel and the boat ride was extremely rough. But on a positive note, we had lunch with a garifuna village and we made some new friends on the boat. So all in all it was a fun day.

Parasailing: I was so scared it took me a week to get up enough nerve to do this. After we were up there, it was a memorable experience and a lot of fun. I felt very safe and the staff were very professional and efficient. Clifford sold us this and he is an honest hardworking young man.

Trip All in All: This was one of the best vacation spots I've ever been to.

Unfortunatly it is becoming quite the tourist destination. And with more people, means more garbage and more crime. I saw alot of plastic straws, cups and bags in the ocean. We cleaned up whatever we could. Also, people who smoke, please be kind and put your butts in a cup filled with sand. The butts on our beach were absolutely disgusting.

One thing I strongly suggest to travellers is to purchase a couple of thermal mugs and use them to put your drinks in. Its better for the environment and keeps your drinks icy cold! We also left these for the staff which they appreciated.

Also to note: Wild dogs and cats....They are all emaciated and hard to look at. So if you are an animal lover this will be heartbreaking as it was for me. The cats at our resort were well fed while I was there and I hope someone will be as kind and offer them some morsels as well.

Any questions, feel free to ask and I will answer as best I can!

League City, Texas
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
201 reviews
1. Re: Just Returned from Paradise Beach Resort Roatan

Very nice trip report. Glad you had a good time. I am getting very excited about our trip at the end of next month. I hate to hear that people throw their trash around, how disgusting. I can't imagine littering ANYWHERE, much less somewhere so beautiful. Your comment about the emaciated animals worries me. We are huge animal lovers. This situation will be extremely difficult for me. Do you have any idea if Roatan has a shelter that accepts donations. If so, we would gladly contribute money, food, whatever is needed. Thanks for taking the time to give your report.

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,747 posts
25 reviews
2. Re: Just Returned from Paradise Beach Resort Roatan

Look at that, I had no idea Paradise Beach Club was one of the HM resorts. Wonder if it always has been and I am blind.

Anywho, Penny of http://www.roatan-sandcastles.com/ is the founder of ROAR.

Roatan Animal Rescue. I can not for the life of me find their web site but she has a photo album http://picasaweb.google.com/SandCastleDesigns full of pics and maybe stories of the animals.

edit ~ Oh wait, maybe there are two Paradise Beach Club and Paradise Beach Resort. Maybe the heat is getting to me.

Edited: 10 February 2011, 08:29
Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Just Returned from Paradise Beach Resort Roatan

Sorry for the confusion...we stayed at the Paradise Beach Club, one of the Henry Morgan Hotels.

http://www.hmresorts.com/hmresorts/

As far as animal rescue facilities, I'm not sure but am looking into it. My take is, they can barely feed themselves, let alone the animals. I'm thinking of taking a vet med class and going back there and putting the animals that are in distress out of their misery. :(

Punta Gorda, Florida
Level Contributor
116 posts
23 reviews
4. Re: Just Returned from Paradise Beach Resort Roatan

This is the website for RRR (Roatan Renegade Rescue) whose director is Penny Leigh. Any/all contributions will be welcome.....

http://roatan-renegade-rescue.org

League City, Texas
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
201 reviews
5. Re: Just Returned from Paradise Beach Resort Roatan

Thank you for the information for RRR. I have sent them an e-mail and look forward to helping them...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
166 posts
19 reviews
6. Re: Just Returned from Paradise Beach Resort Roatan

Excellent review! Thank you very much for taking the time to share. I added a couple more items to my "what to pack list". It saddens me to think that people are tossing their garbage anywhere but in the designated bins!

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,663 posts
27 reviews
7. Re: Just Returned from Paradise Beach Resort Roatan

Perogy I hope you do take the vet med and go back to help the doggies. See my post entitled Safety and Dogs need help. Roatan is a beautiful destination we just returned for the second time and we did see The Renegrade Donation Boxes in the office at Infinity Bay as well. One of the unit owners there has gotten a group of cats spayed/neutered,shots etc. We enjoyed feeding them everyday...went through two bags of cat food...they would be waiting on the patio in the morning...so cute all lined up...waiting patiently...haven't written my review yet but will post of photo of them when I get my review of Infinity Bay finished. We just returned on February 7th/11. Not to scare anyone but many of the locals we spoke to said that crime was increasing on the island so just be careful, safety in numbers and stick to where the tourists are. I am glad I went to Roatan when I did, not sure that I will be returning now after the last visit.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Just Returned from Paradise Beach Resort Roatan

I dont know if the animal rescue has enough resources to help all the animals. The cats seem to fare much better then the dogs. I saw 2 in particular that i cant get out of my mind who were skin and bones and covered with sores. If a home cant be found for them, I would hope they would be put out of their misery.

League City, Texas
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
201 reviews
9. Re: Just Returned from Paradise Beach Resort Roatan

The dogs suffering, has me seriously considering canceling my trip. I will gladly help Roatan Rescue even if I do not go there. I just don't want to see that. I can't even watch the ASPCA commercials on TV. Not sure what to do...

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Just Returned from Paradise Beach Resort Roatan

I'm ike that too...i cant watch those commercials either. If there is any way you can help the rescue out, then at least you know you are part of the solution. Roatan is a beautiful place but like every where else, there will always be stray and abandoned animals. :( Please don't let that change your mind.