We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recharging electronics

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
166 posts
19 reviews
Recharging electronics

A quick question regarding power interruptions ... would you recommend packing a surge protector? Thanks so much.

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,773 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: Recharging electronics

Yes, the power is still not consistent.

I have been down here just under 2 weeks the power has been out three times, once for over 12 hours.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
166 posts
19 reviews
2. Re: Recharging electronics

Thanks very much. Are power outages a common occurrence and are they throughout the island or limited to various resorts?

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Recharging electronics

common on the island, some resorts have backup generators and some dont.

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,773 posts
25 reviews
4. Re: Recharging electronics

As I said I have been here two weeks and the power has been out 3 three times...is that common? Someone mentioned the power company was only turning it off from 5am to about 12 on Sundays...but again..three times in two weeks. Last Sunday it was off just over 12 hours.

I do not know if it is the whole of the island or just parts. Back in the day when the power was out daily, it was more rolling. If is was on in West Bay you could bet it was off in West End. When if was on in Palmetto it was prolly off most other places. I have no idea what the deal is now, I thought the power thing was a non issue at this point.

As said above some resorts have generators so the power is never off but when the system shifts from power company to generator your still going to have a power surge.

Punta Gorda, Florida
Level Contributor
116 posts
23 reviews
5. Re: Recharging electronics

RECO is in the final stages of upgrading most of the poles in West End/West Bay which has been an ongoing project for several months now. Upgrading and installing new poles necessitates the power be cut-off. Another benefit of the upgraded system in WB/WE will be that the wild power fluctations that have been a problem will be significantly reduced. Many of us have power surge equipment installed for the entire house.......

While WB/WE had problems with power last Sunday, we in the East End had no power problems at all. It's not all that common for the power to be down island-wide..it's usually more site specific.

Normally the scheduled outages last no more than 3 hours and are usually very early in the morning.

Edited: 12 February 2011, 04:51
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
166 posts
19 reviews
6. Re: Recharging electronics

Thanks for the info .... I'll recharge in the evening.

7. Re: Recharging electronics

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2012, 10:49