We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

toss up between bananarama vs foster's

USA
Level Contributor
66 posts
3 reviews
toss up between bananarama vs foster's

After reading through various posts and trip reports... we're torn between these 2 choices.

Bananarama only has a garden room available for our dates... while Foster's has a deluxe duplex, which seems nicer.

We're torn because Bananarama seems to offer everything right there... but the room looks just ok.

Foster's on the other hand, is right on the beach... but they get some terrible reviews (9out of 9 in West Bay).

In the past, we've learned that the rankings need to be taken with a grain of salt... but not sure if it's a major leap of faith to try it.

For those who are familiar with both... which would you recommend for Roatan First Timer? Why?

Thanks!!

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
170 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: toss up between bananarama vs foster's

Having just spent a Foster's I would urge you to go to Banarama. Trust me, the room is not nicer.

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,748 posts
25 reviews
2. Re: toss up between bananarama vs foster's

Personally, I am all about the sea view. Foster's has an upper round house, the one with the better view I have great affection for, stayed there 9 years running for at least part of every trip.

Bananarama is nice, the rooms are cute, small-ish nice enough, perhaps better kept than some of Foster's rooms.

I do not know who owns Banarama but I am guessing not a local where Foster;s is owned by one of the oldest families on the island. Because island people think differently, things are going to me much different than home.

Personal preference it is.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,286 posts
51 reviews
3. Re: toss up between bananarama vs foster's

We also enjoyed Foster's. Smaller and I thought nicer. We had the unit which sits almost literally over the water (I think #4). We noticed more bugs around Bananarama and Foster's is open to a great breeze and terrific views. Good food there and right next door at Bite on The Beach and Las Rocas. The room and bath as well as patio were very clean. They supplied drinking water and fresh Honduran coffee every day in the room. All of the units have private patio/balcony.

USA
Level Contributor
66 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: toss up between bananarama vs foster's

I am still unsure.

Klraus, which room/villa did you stay in? The person I've been corresponding with has been very upfront about a difference between the rooms. Did you stay in one of the cabanas (which I understand to be smaller and older)?

I don't have a strong preference of staying at either a locally run or foreigner run places. There are too many factors that I wouldn't be able to make a black/white distinction as to which to support. I do like to support hard-working people who try to best accommodate visitors, if their field is in tourism.

obxpat,

I assume we should expect bugs everywhere (esp mosquitos and sandflies?).

I'm leaning towards Fosters but my husband is leaning towards Banana because he read their bar, the Thirsty Turtle, is a sociall-fun place to hang out... easy to get reasonably-priced drinks.

Nomadicbynature,

They do not have the round house avail... but I was told they have the upstairs unit of the duplex deluxe. What did you think of this building?

www.fostersroatan.com/westbay2008.html#single

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,748 posts
25 reviews
5. Re: toss up between bananarama vs foster's

You didn't ask me about the bugs but I will chime in ...they are everywhere near the beach so Bananrama will have them as well as Foster's. The only place I have not seen bugs was one year when I sold my soul to the devil to rent a very cool house toward the east end above Polly Tilly Bight, there was a breeze and not a single bug, left my screen less windows open all night..goodness what a delight that was. Anywho...

I was only in the upper duplex cabana at Foster's once... It seems nice enough, it is just as the picture shows, tile floors, white walls, king sized bed. It was built maybe three years ago. Leslie is good people, she has been Foster's associate for 8 years or so, she owns the restaurant on the property. I think ya just have to be the right kind of person to enjoy Foster's place..ya can't be looking for any star system..ya can't be after every little thing being perfect from your perspective... your either going to totally dig Foster and his family or your not..if you do not then you are not going to be happy..ah but of you do you will go back time and time again.

Truly it comes down to personal preference.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
45,645 posts
6. Re: toss up between bananarama vs foster's

Fosters also has a great bar/restuarant with live bands, two for one lobster night

Only Banar. and Fosters do live music

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,286 posts
51 reviews
7. Re: toss up between bananarama vs foster's

I felt Foster's had much less bugs because the vegetation along the beach is controlled more. Foster himself raked the area every morning we were there. As for the bar scene, Bananaramma is an easy walk down the beach. Foster's has a bar as does Bite on The Beach and Las Rocas both less than 500' away. We like it quiet in the evening once we leave the bar, another plus for Foster's. If they have the one closest to the water it's perfect for a couple, even had a rooftop deck with a terrific view. I was only bothered by no see ums (gnats) one night when returning to our place. When I dove w/ Bananaramma the mosquitos were thick along the paths in the mornings. Naturally the # of bugs depends upon rainfall, breezes or lack thereof etc. We always bring repellant and when i travel in the Caribbean if they are bad I buy a can of bug spray and spray under the beds in the closets and shower before going out to dinner! Makes for a great nights sleep. Didn't need to at Fosters but we may have just been lucky. Their Lobster night was terrific!

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
170 posts
12 reviews
8. Re: toss up between bananarama vs foster's

I just came from Fosters. There are no live bands or 2 for 1 lobster nights now. There are more bugs at Fosters as you are on top of a Mangrove swamp. I got eaten alive. As the reviews state, there are Management, Maintenance and Work Etchic issues at Fosters that would put a normal hotel (not directly on WBB) out of business.

The only good thing I could say about it is that the beach there is less crowded on cruise ship days.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,286 posts
51 reviews
9. Re: toss up between bananarama vs foster's

Sorry you had that experience. We felt very well served at Foster's. No issues with maintenance, attitude or service. Foster's Family and staff were accomodating. Certainly not a five star resort but that's not what we were expecting.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
291 posts
13 reviews
10. Re: toss up between bananarama vs foster's

Can't vouch for Fosters as I've never been or stayed there. I really enjoyed my time at Bananarama a year ago and can't wait to stay there again in May. I came home with nary a bite, thanks to application of bug spray and being careful. They rake the beach and bar areas every morning, so I think that helped quite a bit with the bugs. The Thirsty Turtle is great! The bartenders are super friendly and will take the time to get to know you during your stay. If you make it there, ask Puma for one of his Monkey LaLa's:-)

You didn't say if you were diving, but I loved the dive shop at Banarama as well.

Bite on the Beach is a short walk down the beach, we did it one night for dinner. It's an easy walk from one area to the other.