We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone returned yet

Ontario
Level Contributor
582 posts
12 reviews
Has anyone returned yet

From using the dine around option? I am anxious to hear how that is.

Thanks

Toronto
Level Contributor
241 posts
1 review
1. Re: Has anyone returned yet

I'm hoping that someone responds to you, because I'm very interested in finding out more information from someone that has just returned too .... we are looking into Infinity Bay, with the All-Inclusive through Sunwing, for next spring.

Roatan
Level Contributor
292 posts
22 reviews
2. Re: Has anyone returned yet

My two favorite resturants Dian's Garden of Eaten & Mavis and Dixies have closed down for good. Tongs reopened this week and though they are pricey, the food is excelent. Lighthouse resturant, Pura Vida and the Argentine Grill all all still there as well.

Tourists are returning slowely but they are returning!

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
45,923 posts
3. Re: Has anyone returned yet

Looks like Mike's 1st post missed the mark on this ? - welcome Mike though

If you want a quick reply, best to findout who was going there on this dine around option and pm them directly

Edited: 11 December 2009, 09:32
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
291 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: Has anyone returned yet

Not to hijack the thread, but Mavis and Dixie's closed? Is that just for the slower season or is that permanently? I really enjoyed it there and was looking forward to eating there on my next trip.

Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
5. Re: Has anyone returned yet

Noles,

Mike sort of hijacked the thread already so no worries but according to his post they "closed down for good" I would take that as not being a seasonal thing.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,542 posts
138 reviews
6. Re: Has anyone returned yet

Just to clarify... the OP was asking about a particular thing - the "dine around" option offered as a way to stay at an all-inclusive resort and still have the opportunity to eat at other locations. Sunwing (I think this is a Canadian travel company?) started offering it earlier this year, but according to one post it was not going to start until December.

This was discussed at some length in August

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g944573-i12645-k30…

and it seems this is a request for some feedback from folks who have tried the dine around option. Perhaps too early to get any on-poing feedback... but I enjoy all the off-point information!

RLD
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Has anyone returned yet

Just got back from IB with Sunwing and used the dine around option. Here is how it works: You go to the front desk and put your name on a list for the other places for dinner only. You can do this 24 hours in advance. We dined at Paradise Club (2 min walk) and Mayan Princess (5 minute walk) while we were there. We liked the later a lot better. This system was terribly disorganized and poorly managed by the front desk. Mind you, this is just 2 weeks into things. We had to follow up and then follow up some more and were eventually granted a "voucher" to present to the folks at the other places. There were a lot of phone calls back and forth and a lot of waiting for confirmation....etc. Very poorly managed! I don't know why the staff from all of the hotels involved don't all meet in one place at 9:00 every morning and then trade and never mind these very inefficient phone calls. The indoor buffet-only restaurant at Infinity Bay was quite nice for a few other nights. I especially enjoyed the shrimps, snapper, and lobster bisque. It was nice to get out and try the other places. We ate 2 lobster tails (35 dollars/each) and drank a beautiful chardonnay at the place next to Bananarama (get there at 6:00-6:30 or you won't get in). I did take a quick photo of the indoor place at IB. It is on the second floor the farest away from the beach. I will try to post that photo soon. Hope this helps.

Toronto
Level Contributor
241 posts
1 review
8. Re: Has anyone returned yet

thank you for the details on the "dine-around" with Sunwing! you have provided some really great information.

Two more questions:

(1) you mention that the restaurant is indoor & on the 2nd floor furthest away from the beach --- I thought the only restuarant at Infinity Bay, was on the beach (which was also the only bar in this resort too) .... so does that mean that there are 2 places to eat here?

(2) you mention this indoor restaurant is buffet --- is it mostly seafood, or is there enough variety in the food, that it will please most people?

RLD
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: Has anyone returned yet

1. The 2nd floor is only buffet and that is where the "all inclusive" people eat. The bar charges money for the food and is open to anyone (including Sunwing if you want to pay). We were quite happy with the buffet. There are always at least four friendly staff to serve you and refresh your drinks. It is nicely decorated and looks like it previously severed as a conference room or a place where you could hold wedding receptions. I will try to post a photo later today.

2. On the buffet, there are many choices. For dinner, besides the rice, vegetables and pasta dishes, there would be three meat/fish choices. Usually there were 2 salads and then a dessert table. It was sufficient. Unfortunately, I just got on the scales and have the proof!!!!!

3. The one thing I would encourage everyone to bring is a travel cup. You could use it for bar drinks and other uses (e.g., coffee in the morning) and the hotel cold cut down on the use of disposable plastic cups. Between the bottled water bottles and plastic cups, I felt badly about leaving all of that waste on the beautiful island of Roatan.

4. Another thing you should not forget is the Deet. OMG- I just counted 11 bites on my right leg. They are not your normal mosquito bites. The Roatan bugs (sandfleas and mosquitoes) are sneaky little buggers and when they bite, they take a chunk out of you. They are esecially good at hitting the part of your back that you cannot scratch. They hit at any time of the day and especially at sundown. Beware of the Roatan bugs. They make our Canadian bugs look like woosies.

Ontario
Level Contributor
582 posts
12 reviews
10. Re: Has anyone returned yet

thanks so much for all your info - now being a cottager Bancroft actually an hour from you folks I do know aout bugs - let me tell ya the whole enchalata (sp) hehe with bugs shirts and I scratch like heck when bitten - I have not experienced any bug bites in my travels before - gottta wonder why in Roatan ??