We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water taxi West Bay to West End

Vermont
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
2 helpful votes
Water taxi West Bay to West End

Are these wonderful water taxis running in the evenings? We are staying on West Bay Beach at the end of January and loved taking them to the West End for dinner on past trips.

6 replies to this topic
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
226 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
1. Re: Water taxi West Bay to West End

To my knowledge they're not "supposed to", but over the last few years it's become a somewhat regular thing. I believe they charge $5/person instead of the daytime rate of $3/person) You will likely be be able to find one. But you should understand the level of "adventure" you're choosing. Many of them don't seem to even have running lights. You should have no illusions that there is any licensing, safety protocol, etc.....this is definitely "you're on your own" territory. Given how many incidents I've had/seen over the years with daytime water taxis, I personally just opt for the land taxi if i need to get back to West Bay after dark.

I've heard anecdotal mentions that Infinity Bay might have their own these days, which would presumably be slightly more trustworthy, but you'd have to check that with the hotel.

Edited: 04 January 2019, 23:00
Gulf Shores, Alabama
Level Contributor
987 posts
4 reviews
20 helpful votes
2. Re: Water taxi West Bay to West End

We have used Infinity Bay taxis at night and definitely felt safer on it than some of the others running the route. They have operational navigating lights, and also a spot light that can find the unlit boats.

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,963 posts
25 reviews
24 helpful votes
3. Re: Water taxi West Bay to West End

My guess is one would have to be a guest at Infinity to make use of their after dark water taxi.

I recommend the OP ask the water taxi guys.. they will sort out times and fees.

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
7,953 posts
4. Re: Water taxi West Bay to West End

Last I heard, there were 3 water taxis with lights that could run at night. But I've seen quite a few without lights. Supposedly, they will only go from West End to West Bay after dark. Last West Bay to West End water taxi ends at sunset.

Then again, things change constantly, so who knows? Best to ask when you get there.

Land taxis are $5 per person, so my taxi guy said last week. Even at night (if it's not too late).

Alberta
Level Contributor
1,192 posts
16 reviews
17 helpful votes
5. Re: Water taxi West Bay to West End

There are water taxis at night between West End and West Bay. You can also get a water taxi at night to take you from West Bay to Ibagari or Xblanaque for dinner. The water taxi guys will usually make arrangements to pick you up at a prearranged time. We’ve used water taxis at night several times. They travel much slower and more and more are actually getting lights on their boats. As far as safety is concerned, it’s no less safe than that horrible road with crazy drivers between West Bay and West End.

Infinity Bay does have their own large, well lit water taxi. Anyone can use it, however you need to book at the Palapa Bar and pre pay. You will be charged the fare which I can’t quite remember, plus the obligatory service charge of an additional 10% so it’s a bit more than a regular water taxi.

I much prefer the 10 or 15 minute water taxi at night. How else can you see the beautiful lit up properties of Ibagari and Xblanaque that you can only see by water at night.

Level Contributor
88 posts
6. Re: Water taxi West Bay to West End

If the moon is out, that night ride on the water is silly romantic. What’s the worst that can happen? Some boats have lights, some are relying on the lights of others to avoid mishap. The road taxi ride is just long and dark. Of course I have never tried the ride without moonlight.

Last July my wife and I met a fellow on the little beach next to Roatan Divers who offered his services to be our night taxi man during our stay. He’d pick us up at Xbalanque to go to dinner up

Or down the beach. And then be there to take us home at some appointed hour. He had lights too. And it worked well until, well, one night he just didn’t show up. Maybe he had a life. Next time I’ll have to get his cell number.

Get answers to your questions about West Bay