We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best beach in Roatan, Honduras

Boston...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
best beach in Roatan, Honduras

I'm going on a NCL cruise in Feb and one of the stops is Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras. Does any one have any recommendations for a nice sandy beach not to far from the ship? Any information about how far away, taxi fares and beach fees would be appreciated

7 replies to this topic
I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,822 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: best beach in Roatan, Honduras

West Bay Beach is the premier beach on the island.

I believe NCL docks in Coxen Hole, West Bay is about 25 mins by car.

Taxi on the island are not regulated, if are adventurous, are willing to take your chances walking out to the main road, enjoy hagging and know some Spanish you maybe be able to get a taxi to sort you for a lower price than you would closer to the port. If you choose the route make sure you arrange round-trip transport and pay upon the return.

Often times it makes more sense to hire a private driver from one of the local tour operators, the rates from 25pp to 30pp depending on how many in your party, I have seen the rate as low as 15pp but that was a group of 10.

You also have the option of a group transport either with a ship excursion or of the tour operators.

The remaining option is to contact several of the resorts on West Bay which offer transport included day passes. Bananarama, Beachers, Mayan Princess, Foster's, and Infinity Bay, Paradise Beach Club, there may be others I am forgetting. All of these resorts have websites with more information.

If I were me planning a day on the island I would hire a private driver to learn about his culture and island. I would have prearranged a day pass in West Bay. I would ask my driver to drop me in West End and collect me at an arranged time on West Bay. I would wander about West End, maybe peek in some shops, grab a smoothie at one of the stands and then hop the water taxi to West Bay to alternate between hanging about at the resort beach and snorkeling between Infinity's L shaped prier and The Wall. I might even have a meal at Beacher's.

All the resort bars and restaurants on West Bay are open to the public.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: best beach in Roatan, Honduras

Does anyone know how much a taxi cost and how long it takes from the pier in Coxen Hole in Roatan, Honduras to Tabyana beach is? This beach got great reviews but the excursions on the ship for this are $85. It's for 6 hrs and includes lunch. This is too long for me and I don't care about lunch. I was hoping to do it on my own with 2 friends if it was cheaper. I would also like to know what they charge for chairs.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: best beach in Roatan, Honduras

thanks for the info. it was helpful

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,822 posts
25 reviews
4. Re: best beach in Roatan, Honduras

Tabyana is part of West Bay beach, one can only go to Tabyana through the cruise ship excursions.

Your best bet is to choose any of the day passes with transport included offered by the various resorts. I left a list in my 1st post.

Edited: 15 October 2018, 00:08
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14 posts
64 reviews
5. Re: best beach in Roatan, Honduras

Tabyana Beach is just a "sectioned-off portion" of the regular beach that everyone else hangs out at. IMO, you become an even bigger target as a cruiser, so you won't really be left alone when you cross out of the beach area into the water. At least with a Day Pass to another resort, you can semi-blend in a little better. Of course if you meet lots of people cruising and want to hang out with them, at least you have a reserved area to congregate. The sellers at the beach are pretty heavy here. I would say the only benefit to reserving a spot somewhere, whether it be at Tabyana or a resort, is that you will get a lounger for the day.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
655 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: best beach in Roatan, Honduras

go to west bay beach..Argentinian grill.... not a far cab ride... the beach is amazing you can snorkel right off the beach at the other end of that beach... walk to your left as you looking out the ocean. There is also west end for much cheaper food and drink options and a smaller not as nice beach but still a great stop

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
7,768 posts
7. Re: best beach in Roatan, Honduras

Taxis are not regulated, but you can negotiate. Normally, it's about $20 per person round trip (2 people minimum) from the port of Roatan to West End. Plan on $25 to West Bay. If there are 3 of you, then it's $75 round trip. 30 minute drive each way or 60 minutes round trip. Remember, this is for roundtrip transportation, and the driver is waiting to pick you up from port and then is waiting to take you back to port again at the end of the day. It's a very fair rate if you think about the waiting and driving these guys do.

Reply to: best beach in Roatan, Honduras
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted