We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Infinity Bay Questions/Concerns

Milton, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
33 reviews
Infinity Bay Questions/Concerns

I'm going with a small group to IB via Sunwing in early March.

This forum has been a great resource in my planning, however I have a few questions that I was not able to find specific answers to and/or reading the posts lead to more questions...

1) I will be staying in a 1 bedroom garden view villa. I've read that some suites have laundry facilities, although not always accessable to guests. How would I be able to determine this for sure? And, if it's not available in suite, then does the resort have self-serve laundry facilities? I'm planning to go carry-on only, and knowing this will help me determine the amount of clothes (or lack thereof) I can get away with.

2) This leads me to my next concern: since I plan not to check a bag, I've read here that ordinary items are being confiscated like non-liquid deodorant, and other things that are acceptable to transport in a carry on most other places in the world. How much of a concern is this?

3) Has anyone had experience using the WiFi at IB for video conferencing (ie Skype)? Is the service reliable enough to do this whenever? Also, I have a portable router that can be used as a repeater, and wondering if this would be a good idea to bring? Configuring it is tricky if it's not a direct connection to the WiFi (ie sign-on pages). How does it work at this resort?

Thanks in advance.

15 replies to this topic
Calypso, North...
Level Contributor
887 posts
1 review
1. Re: Infinity Bay Questions/Concerns

"""non-liquid deodorant, and other things that are acceptable to transport in a carry on most other places in the world. How much of a concern is this?"""

That seems like a Canadian TSA question.

Milton, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
33 reviews
2. Re: Infinity Bay Questions/Concerns

I've traveled with said items before in my carry-on without issue. However I read that security at the Roatan airport confiscates these items. Other examples listed in this forum are deet (assuming bug spray less than 100ml).

Edited: 26 July 2018, 23:27
I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
25 reviews
3. Re: Infinity Bay Questions/Concerns

I would be interested to see where you read about these things being taken. I have never had security even so much as glance at my bags going into Roatan.

Getting out is a whole other kettle of fish, double security, second screenings, going through of everyone's bags. All kinds of things get removed then but I have never heard of solid deodorant going missing.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,405 posts
50 reviews
4. Re: Infinity Bay Questions/Concerns

If you booked through Sunwing I doubt you will have access to a washer/dryer even if it does exist in the one bedroom garden villas. Most of the condos have a lock-out on the laundry facilities, but if you rent from a private owner they will sometimes give you access. The wi-fi island-wide is kind of hit-and-miss, so good luck with that.

Alberta
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
16 reviews
5. Re: Infinity Bay Questions/Concerns

Retro, the units at Infinity Bay have washers/dryers. The washer/dryers are in locked off closets in the units. However, many of the units are privately owned, but rented through the resort. There are some owners that request that the washer/dryer not be accessible to guests.

You could email Infinity Bay and ask that you are assigned to a unit that has an accessible washer/dryer. Generally there is an extra charge for this. You might luck out and end up in a unit where the washer/dryer cabinet is unlocked in which case that unit is likely owned by Infinity Bay.

Each unit at IB has it's own wifi and generally it works well enough. We have used Skype on occasion. The wifi is not secure in the way that you need passwords and you can pick up wifi pretty much anywhere in the resort.

In several trips to Roatan, we have never had any issue coming or going through security. We have had one or two random luggage checks leaving but no issue whatsoever.

Calypso, North...
Level Contributor
887 posts
1 review
6. Re: Infinity Bay Questions/Concerns

@Nomadic et al: There is no security inbound. There is Passport Control and then subsequent Customs, thus a non-issue on an entry for TSA-like "rules".

Outbound, as was referenced, there is no predictability nor rhyme or reason. I have made it through with pocket tools and scarier things, that's why they give you the real deal US version at your US transfer port of entry. RTB outbound security used to be well known for carry-on confiscation of batteries and bug spray, apparently they now have a lifetime supply (or the Tourism Board had a chat with them).

RTB Outbound checked bag security has adopted a new and very positive wrinkle- if they want to open your bags, they call you out of the departure lounge and you get to watch. At least on "that particular day" in Honduras. Whereas in the US they tout unpredictability of searches being a tool to fight terrorism, in Honduras it is more likely tied to the Lunar Phase.

Go with it.

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
25 reviews
7. Re: Infinity Bay Questions/Concerns

Sure there is inbound security.. those two guys hanging about the x-ray machine. :0)

Oh wait, maybe those two guys are customs.. see ya learn every day.

Edited: 27 July 2018, 01:46
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Infinity Bay Questions/Concerns

Sunwing has a 5Kg carryon allowance - and they enforce it!

Anyway, unless you are planning on taking a cab from the aiport to the resort, you will still have to wait for other travellers to get their luggage prior to the bus departing for the resort.

I say check it and forget it....

Milton, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
33 reviews
9. Re: Infinity Bay Questions/Concerns

Thanks everyone for your replies. This will definitely help me pack.

And I was referring to confiscations exiting Roatan.

There are many benefits to travelling carry-on only. One being when you land back in your home country, you don't have to wait at the baggage carousel; another is you don't have to lug a large wheeled suitcase around the airports and up and down stairs at your resort (my carry-on is a backpack). Let's not forget checked baggage getting damaged or going missing.

From what I understand Roatan is very relaxed, so I should be able to meet Sunwing's requirements (hopefully).

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
25 reviews
10. Re: Infinity Bay Questions/Concerns

Heck, I did three months on Roatan and two months in Ireland with carry on only.

It is all kinds of easy if you put your mind to it.

Enjoy the island!

Reply to: Infinity Bay Questions/Concerns
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted