We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do they rent scooters to get around the island, is it safe ?

Hobart, IN
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Do they rent scooters to get around the island, is it safe ?

What is your suggestions on getting around the island, scooter rental, car rental or a cab ?? Also pricing if you know it ! Thanks in advance

14 replies to this topic
I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,738 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: Do they rent scooters to get around the island, is it safe ?

There is much discussion about safety... I am a solo female traveler who has been to some fair dodgy places and never had enough trouble to stop me doing what I want. With that said, I would never tell anyone they will be safe, bad things happen the world over and who is to say how the locals or the bad guys will be feeling on any given day. Additionally, if one behaves in an unsafe manner...

I have rented a scooter from Caption Vans to zip up and down the island more than once. One need understand, the roads are not great and if there are any traffic laws no one gives them any never mind.

I have also zipped about the island via car. If you are staying in an isolated area perhaps a car is a good choice for getting from point A to point B.

I think the most efficient way to see the island is with a local tour guide. He can show you his favorite places, perhaps he has an Auntie who will cook you a local meal and you will be helping him feed his family. it's a win win.

Edited: 25 November 2017, 21:46
Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Do they rent scooters to get around the island, is it safe ?

Depending on whether roads get fixed before you visit I would say NO to car or scooters as the holes today are large enough to swallow either. That said, I have over 100K miles on motorcycles in the US, I live on Roatan and would love to have a bike but I will not ride one on the roads here, besides the potholes, mudslides, fallen trees etc.. that we see in the rainy season, there are the people dogs cows, horses to worry about, the taxi's that stop in the middle of the road, pass on the right or left or going up over hills, sometimes all of the above, the current Mayor did put in Roatans first traffic lights but they are just yellow blinking lights, I believe actually from some Railroad crossing. Getting a Honduran Drivers license is not a simple task, there are tests but none of that matters as few if any are enforced, then there is the issue if you were in an accident and injured, where would you seek treatment ? Where are you staying? is there safe secure parking?

Edited: 25 November 2017, 23:55
United States
Level Contributor
716 posts
92 reviews
3. Re: Do they rent scooters to get around the island, is it safe ?

When we stay at the West End, I prefer a scooter, and yes they do rent them. There are numerous pot holes once out of town, and it is not the safest way to travel. The road to Flowers Bay from the West End is terrible! You could be thrown from the scooter if you hit a pot hole. I would never drive a scooter at night for fear of not seeing a pot hole. Some roads you can travel faster than a car because of these large pot holes in the road. If you have had a lot of experience on a motorcycle, day time driving is not bad. Risk verse reward, well I would recommend taking a taxi because if you do crash, medical attention would be another story. I am a risk taker, and you definitely are taking a risk renting a scooter.....driving a scooter is a risk no matter where you drive one.

Broken Arrow...
Level Contributor
2 posts
266 reviews
4. Re: Do they rent scooters to get around the island, is it safe ?

We rented a scooter from Ramirez rental cars. Broke down 12 miles from port. Cost us $70 to get the scooter back. We were out the $60 to rent and the $70 that it cost to get us back. I should have left the scooter by the side of the road. DON'T deal with them.

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
384 posts
5. Re: Do they rent scooters to get around the island, is it safe ?

And don't forget if you get in an accident, you will probably be found at fault. You may have to surrender your passport until things get resolved. What happens to you if you injure someone? Are you prepared for that?

Things to think about.

I just get a taxi or use collective.

Edited: 08 May 2018, 21:02
Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Do they rent scooters to get around the island, is it safe ?

"And don't forget if you get in an accident, you will probably be found at fault." Interesting, I live here and do not find that to be accurate

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
384 posts
7. Re: Do they rent scooters to get around the island, is it safe ?

Well i guess I was generalizing that in SOME countries the foreigners are usually at fault. BUT, I can assume lik in other countries, they authorities hold you Passport until the damages and others things are settled. AND if you injure someone...

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Do they rent scooters to get around the island, is it safe ?

If you are at fault they certainly will hold passport till things are worked out, as it should be,

Roatan, Honduras
1 post
1 review
9. Re: Do they rent scooters to get around the island, is it safe ?

Yes , it’s a friendly guy alex from Xplora Roatan 504-9885-5740

ExploraRoatan@gmail.com

Sudbury, Ontario
Level Contributor
882 posts
7 reviews
10. Re: Do they rent scooters to get around the island, is it safe ?

We rent scooters every year in Roatan and sometimes even a car.

1. we don't drive either of them at night - if I need to get somewhere after dark we take a cab

2. we drive bike's at home so it's not a new thing for us - why people think they can drive a scooter just on vacation when they have no experience is beyond me.

3. Every rental place has different pricing for a scooter it's $20 to $50 a day, just depends where, for how long and what condition it's in.

4. Use your phone/camera to take pictures of any scooter/car you rent so you have proof you didn't do the damage they say you did - and you have the proof.

5. Heed all the warnings from others above

Enjoy your vacation!

Mary Jane

"Never Sweat the Small Stuff"

Edited: 09 May 2018, 16:01
Reply to: Do they rent scooters to get around the island, is it safe ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted