We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat ride from West Bay Beach to Anthony's Key

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Boat ride from West Bay Beach to Anthony's Key

Am I able to get a water taxi (or boat of some sort) to go from West Bay Beach directly to Anthony's Key Resort for the dolphin encounter? If so, how much would it cost per person? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
West Bay Beach
West Bay Beach
2,812 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
Anthony's Key Resort
Anthony's Key Resort
1,248 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
10 replies to this topic
South Dakota
Level Contributor
361 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boat ride from West Bay Beach to Anthony's Key

I don't think it would be a problem. Just negotiate the rate before hand depending on how many of you there are it shouldn't be too expensive. My guess with the people we ride with would be between $5-10 per person. Some may think that is high but we are always happy to pay and know these people are just trying to make a living.

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,556 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boat ride from West Bay Beach to Anthony's Key

West Bay to AKR is not a normal route but as Funnie says, the local are hungry, arranging it should not be a worry with enough notice.

Mentioned in this post
West Bay Beach
West Bay Beach
2,812 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
Ontario
Level Contributor
714 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boat ride from West Bay Beach to Anthony's Key

We stayed at Sandy Bay and swan to the reef each day. We always had to watch for the boats going to and from Anthony's Key. I can only assume these were not all organized package tours?

Mentioned in this post
Anthony's Key Resort
Anthony's Key Resort
1,248 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,556 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boat ride from West Bay Beach to Anthony's Key

AKR is one of the original dive til you drop all inclusives. Depending on the size of the boats you were dodging, my guess they were part fleet of dive boats.

I expose iris possible AKR would b3 willing to send a boat for the OP.

Ontario
Level Contributor
714 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boat ride from West Bay Beach to Anthony's Key

These were a smaller type taxi boat holding a few people, one or two even, and not the dive boats, which usually go out to the right.

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,556 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boat ride from West Bay Beach to Anthony's Key

Hmmm, wonder what that was about....perhaps the water taxi have changed their MO.

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
7,407 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Boat ride from West Bay Beach to Anthony's Key

Dive boats at Anthony's Key Resort have the name on the side of the boats. They've got a BIG fleet (11 dive boats+ 1 snorkel boat) -- and each boat is clearly advertised!

Maybe the little boats were local fishermen? Or just people with their own boats? There's a channel that cuts through AKR and makes for a much smoother ride than going out along the outer reef. There are docks for the homes out "that way," too. Lawson's Rock is further up the coast. The boats may not have necessarily been going to AKR.

Mentioned in this post
Anthony's Key Resort
Anthony's Key Resort
1,248 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
Dallas, TX USA
Level Contributor
53 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boat ride from West Bay Beach to Anthony's Key

FWIW, we've gone on water taxi type boats for private half day snorkel trips from WBB up toward Palmetto Bay, stopping at the dolphin encounter if there was a show. So agree with others that shouldn't be a problem for you to negotiate a boat ride.

Pleasant Hill, CA
Level Contributor
172 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boat ride from West Bay Beach to Anthony's Key

What day is the dolphin show at AKR?

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
2,127 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boat ride from West Bay Beach to Anthony's Key

Some of the smaller boats are the ones that run guests from the Main Island out to the Key, I am sure, as others have mentioned you could find someone to take you to AKR, but there could be some issues, (1) Who is allowed to pull up to the AKR Dock and (2) difficulty getting a small bot fror the trip back unless you pre arrange something ot pay the captain to wait

Reply to: Boat ride from West Bay Beach to Anthony's Key
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about West Bay