We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Least crowded time to go

Tennessee
Level Contributor
213 posts
66 reviews
Least crowded time to go

Next year will be our 2nd time visiting Roatan. We stayed in Half Moon Bay last time and LOVED it. However this time our parents will be joining us and I think they would be more happy on West Bay. We will be a party of 5 so looking at WBV, the Meridian, or Emerald Beach House. I really like Orchid Beach but mobility problems for the MIL would be hard getting to the beach from those houses and not sure they would like the beach there. They like the sandy bottom and why I think West Bay would be a good fit. I know the Meridian is not sandy bottom but it close proximity to WB without the boat taxi traffic WE has.

The ONLY problem I worry with West Bay is the crowds. We went this past January and the beach was crazy crowded.

Any time of the year where WB may be less crowded?

22 replies to this topic
I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,780 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: Least crowded time to go

September... it will be HOT and quiet!

Alot of the crowd on West Bay is cruise ship people.. have a look a cruise schedules to find their less busy time.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
213 posts
66 reviews
2. Re: Least crowded time to go

I did prior to posting. Unfortunately it looks like they Port year around. It does seem to slow somewhat around May. At least they only come in around 4 times a week vs every day when we were there. So I was just wondering if maybe someone that goes there regularly knew of secret times when visitation in general was down LOL! I guess if they did, it wouldn't be a secret.

September seems to be universal in low times in the Caribbean. It is just hard to take that hurricane chance.

Alberta
Level Contributor
1,166 posts
16 reviews
3. Re: Least crowded time to go

There is a small beach at Meridian, but no sandy bottom and the water is usually quite rough there at that end of the island. Also, unless your making your own meals, there is just one restaurant (which is quite good) but otherwise you'd need a car or cabs a fair bit of the time.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
196 posts
1 review
4. Re: Least crowded time to go

July and August are fantastic. Last time we managed to be there for 8 nights and there were only 3 days that had cruises in port. And aside from one they were very light days. Weather is perfect (unless you find 80-85 degrees too hot)

Tennessee
Level Contributor
213 posts
66 reviews
5. Re: Least crowded time to go

Mindy...yes I am aware we would need a car if we stayed there. We plan to eat quite a bit in West End anyway so either way we will be renting a car if we stay in West Bay. Since there will be 5 of us, water taxis will get expensive. Plus we plan on doing a day at Little French Key so by the time we pay for taxis everywhere it makes much more sense to rent a car.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
213 posts
66 reviews
6. Re: Least crowded time to go

Thanks Nation!

We usually take our vacations first of May but I loathe cruise ships traffic. (sorry not sorry to those who love them).

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
196 posts
1 review
7. Re: Least crowded time to go

May looks really light as well: …cruisett.com/schedule/…

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,767 posts
91 reviews
8. Re: Least crowded time to go

yes May is really a perfect time of year, but don't tell anyone. Crowds have diminished between Easter busy time and summer busy time. Great weather mostly. September is hurricane season most places in the caribbean but not Roatan so much. But in May lobster is out of season. So forget May. And forget Honduras Independence day and associated fishing tournament around Sept 15. Cruise ship crowds peak in mid week and ferry crowds from the mainland peak on Saturday.

Rosedale, Canada
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
11 reviews
9. Re: Least crowded time to go

May is awesome ! Very hot ! Hubby and I just got back on the 15th after a 16 day stay and West Bay (particularly in front of Infinity Bay) was very quiet for the most part. As a matter of fact you would be hard pressed to find more than a couple of dozen people on IB's section of beach most days. Have to say though that further down the beach by Paradise and Bananarama was kind of crowded on the one cruise ship day we walked down there for lunch so we were happy to get back to IB . We always go this time of year and can't begin to imagine going in January with cruise ships almost every day - shudder :( .

LOL David !

Edited: 26 May 2017, 00:22
Tennessee
Level Contributor
213 posts
66 reviews
10. Re: Least crowded time to go

We only went to West Bay one day our whole trip last time. It was so very crowded. We stayed at Half Moon Resort and while people came to eat, not very many lingering on the beach area or in the water so we stayed there.

But we absolutely loved Roatan. So far nowhere we have been has compared to the snorkeling and diving (that we can afford).

Edited: 26 May 2017, 00:43
Reply to: Least crowded time to go
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted