We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Infinity Bay at Christmas?

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
223 reviews
Infinity Bay at Christmas?

We are planning a 2 week vacation for Christmas 2017, at first we were leaning towards Bonaire because my sons (17 and 15 years old) love snorkeling from the shore but many articles/forums say Roatan is better.

My question, I like the idea of renting a 2 bedroom condo at Infinity Bay to make our own breakfast/snacks and then eat dinner out. Is there enough to do for my sons for the 2 weeks? Restaurants are within walking distance? I would love to see the Copan ruins, I found this tour westbaytours.com/products/roatan-to-copan-ru… has anyone done it? Any tours/experiences that should not be missed? Do many people speak English or is it mostly Spanish? Thanks in advance for any help or insights :)

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,747 posts
91 reviews
1. Re: Infinity Bay at Christmas?

Bonaire is a big dive destination among folks who haven't been to Roatan yet. Its specialty is shore diving, where you rent a jeep and rent some tanks and drive to one of the many west side dive sites and lug your tanks over rocks into the water, then back to the jeep and repeat. It has no natural beach on the westward lee side. Lots of fish to look at but its corals cannot compare. Plus I think it is totally lacking in charm and basically unattractive.

If your kids are interested in snorkeling and given their ages, their vacation time would be well and productively spent getting certified to scuba dive. Every dive shop on Roatan can help them and at the cheapest prices you will ever see. Once certified as rabid divers, their time will pass rapidly. I wouldn't suggest committing to a trip to the mainland until after they certify and decide they want to ever get out of the water.

Everyone you will encounter in the tourist area speaks good English. And the US$ functions as the accepted currency.

Edited: 10 March 2017, 01:22
Kootenays
Level Contributor
508 posts
21 reviews
2. Re: Infinity Bay at Christmas?

Routan is a great place to set kids that age free. My kids loved it here. Having them take their diving certification is a good idea. You could do the book part from home, leaving their time here free to dive.

Copan is well worth a visit. If these flights aren't available, you could fly in to SAP, you can take Hedman Alas bus there, spend a couple of days and then bus back to either SAP for a flight to Roatan or La Ceiba and the ferry. Or hire a driver.

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Infinity Bay at Christmas?

Is Roatan such a cheap place to get certified? In North Florida, OW classes are generally around $250 and often have discounts and include all equipment and materials , what is going rate on Roatan for full OW course with all include? Not wanting to debate about beauty and experience as that was not mentioned,

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,747 posts
91 reviews
4. Re: Infinity Bay at Christmas?

OW classes in West End run north of $300 and slightly more in West Bay. Which would be more than the $250 you say they charge in north Florida, except that shops there tend to throw in a separate instructor fee bringing their cost to north of $400, what they charge in Bonaire. Which seems to be pretty much the prevailing price on line. They do offer more than dive shops do in Roatan in that you get the use of a wet suit plus hood, which you have NO use for in Roatan. I guess I should say that Roatan has pretty much the cheapest prices I have ever found, except for Utila. My brother is getting certified there for $288 for everything including free room and breakfast. But no wet suit.

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Infinity Bay at Christmas?

David, once again you are mistaken , dive shops in North Florida hover around the $250 mark, all in, no hidden costs,, no other instructor fee as you mention.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,663 posts
27 reviews
6. Re: Infinity Bay at Christmas?

Georgee and David ... you guys can use the jello wrestling pool once the women are finished.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,747 posts
91 reviews
7. Re: Infinity Bay at Christmas?

what, you mean we don't get to join them?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,717 posts
118 reviews
8. Re: Infinity Bay at Christmas?

To answer some of the non-dive questions, we stayed in Infinity Bay in a 2 bed unit and it was great. We made breakfasts and lunch in like you did. We did not go on any excursions. We never got bored just snorkeling the reef in front of the hotel and we were trying to keep costs down. There were vendors selling various day trip excursions so I think there would be plenty to keep you busy for 2 weeks.

You will be fine speaking only English.

There are lots of restaurants walking distance from Infinity Bay and you can easily take a taxi or water taxi to west end to have more restaurant options.

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
223 reviews
9. Re: Infinity Bay at Christmas?

thank you :)

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,663 posts
27 reviews
10. Re: Infinity Bay at Christmas?

David ... lol