We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must see and must do's while in Roatan

Sauble Beach, Canada
2 posts
Must see and must do's while in Roatan

We are in Roatan at the Henry Morgan for a week in January. I am feeling overwhelmed with the things to do. I am looking for must see and do's = tours, dives, restaurants, ... wanting to try an atv, perhaps zipline with the monkeys, dive, Looking for helpful hints . THANKS

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
7,644 posts
1. Re: Must see and must do's while in Roatan

Dive. If you haven't tried it, do a Discover Scuba Dive (DSD) course for a day.

Snorkel. Left side of West Bay (as you're looking out to the sea, in front of Grand Roatan, has a reef teeming with life. Please DO NOT touch the coral. Look down and step on the sand if you need to put your feet down. Once you touch the coral, it will die.)

Take a trip to French Harbour and visit Arch's Iguana Farm

http://www.archsiguanaandmarinepark.com

as well as the Sloth Sanctuary. Sloths are very much a part of the mainland, and like the orangutans of Borneo, are finding themselves chased away from their homes. Roatan now has a sanctuary for the ones who aren't murdered.

https:/…DanielJohnsonMonkeySlothSanctuary

Both support the local community and are making a difference in the world.

Purchase your gifts at Rusty Fish. Everything is MADE in Roatan! http://rustyfish.com

And help support the Roatan Marine Park. http://www.roatanmarinepark.com

Have fun!

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,663 posts
27 reviews
2. Re: Must see and must do's while in Roatan

I second the Iguana Farm!!! Not really a farm ... its a sanctuary for the Iguana on Arch's land. Huge Iguana's ... go in the afternoon around 1:00 pm ... they are often feeding them at that time .... it's like mini dinosaurs all coming in from the jungle to feed on bushels full of lettuce that they put down for them. Iguanas are quite docile for the most part ... I gave one a really good massage when we were there ... he loved it!!

Calypso, North...
Level Contributor
888 posts
1 review
3. Re: Must see and must do's while in Roatan

I see it's your first ever post. Do some searching here on this forum. Lots of information for you before you ask specific questions.

The "must do"?

Pay your exit fee tax at airport as you leave.

Everything else is optional.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,737 posts
118 reviews
4. Re: Must see and must do's while in Roatan

Snorkeling and diving. The reason to go to Roatan is to see the reef. We spent our week just snorkeling off West Bay and were 100% satisfied.

"Pay your exit fee tax at airport as you leave."

When we went last year, the exit tax was built into the price of the ticket so even this was not a must do.

Augusta
Level Contributor
508 posts
72 reviews
5. Re: Must see and must do's while in Roatan

"Zipline with the Monkeys". Please dont do this. Monkeys are horribly afraid of ziplines, and although they're trained to be seem happy while zip lining, in truth they're terrified. If you offer to take a monkey on a carosel, they'll be a friend for life. Some of them even like using ATV's, though that can be a bit dangerous. Most monkeys are pretty happy to just chill and watch QVC all day. But all monkeys agree, NO ZIPLINING!

Kidding!

There is a zip line place just up the hil from your hotel. I dont think it's the islands "best" but you wont waste much time getting there an back. Go on a day with no cruise ships in port, you'll have the course to yourself, and the guys are a blast there.

Must do:

Snorkeling: Just up the beach, in front of Infinity Bay, or at Grand Roatan, great snorkeling. World class. Best I've ever seen.

Night Snorkeling: I know the dive shop at IB does tours on the reef at night. Maybe your resort does too, but if not, just ask at Infinity. They dont care what resort you are staying at.

Excursions: You can take excursions that are 3-4 hours, and do lunch and a couple of snorkel sights, or you can do an all day thing and go to Pigeon Caye. Depends on how you feel about being on a small boat all day. You dont have to book in advance, there are people up and down the beach selling excursions, as well as a desk at your resort and a hut on the beach. Personally, the snorkel spots we went to were not all that much more exciting than in front of our resort, but I dont sit still well, so it was worth it to me. (I went on a half day/3 location tour... 1 location was m'eh, 1 was ok, one had starfish and a decent coral wall).

Other thoughts: Walk down to the pier at IB and catch a water taxi to West end. $3/person. There is dining, shopping, sights to be seen (people mainly!). West End wasnt really my "thing", it seemed to me like a community built around people headed off to dive, coming back from a dive, or planning their next dive. Eating, Drinking, and some crafty stores. But, even though not 'my' thing, it's a good place to visit and chill. Taxi's stop running after dark, so keep that in mind if you stay for dinner! (Lots of cool looking places to eat).

Sauble Beach, Canada
2 posts
6. Re: Must see and must do's while in Roatan

THANKS for your input it was very informative. I have been reading and for every person saying one thing another says the opposite having said that after hours and days of reading I decided to ask. Thanks again for your information

La Habra, California
Level Contributor
275 posts
78 reviews
7. Re: Must see and must do's while in Roatan

Little french key is awesome. I would highly recommend it. Check out the website. littlefrenchkey.com have fun and be safe!

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,663 posts
27 reviews
8. Re: Must see and must do's while in Roatan

I think a few people may jump in on this one having had Little French Key mentioned. I would not recommend goin to this place. It's been taken away from them now but they used to have a Jaguar there that they forced to swim with tourists who had paid to swim with him. If he didn't want to go in the water they would pull him in the water by the choke chain around his neck. Very sad.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
650 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: Must see and must do's while in Roatan

I had no idea about this happening... not impressed they do this there. is it popular with cruise ships? We went there one day last year when it was very stormy and high seas at west end..calm waters at French Key

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
7,644 posts
10. Re: Must see and must do's while in Roatan

Thank you, Sparkykitty. Yes, by all means, AVOID Little French Key.