We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zika St. Lucia/ Sandals Grande

Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Zika St. Lucia/ Sandals Grande

My husband and I have our honeymoon booked to Sandals Grande in July. We recently found out that I'm pregnant and will be 4 months pregnant in July. Do we need to cancel our trip because of Zika? Can anyone tell us how bad the mosquitos are there and/or Zika?

Thank you

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
14,131 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Zika St. Lucia/ Sandals Grande

You'll need to discuss this with your doctor. Yes, Zika is here in St Lucia, and yes, we have mosquitoes that transmit it. No one can possibly tell you whether they'll be particularly prevalent the exact dates you're visiting or whether the ones around will be carrying zika when they bite you. You can take all reasonable precautions of course, Bug spray, long sleeves, sealed room, etc but it is a real risk.

New jersey
Level Contributor
593 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Zika St. Lucia/ Sandals Grande

Yes, cancel, it's not worth even a slight risk that is completely preventable.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
379 posts
29 reviews
3. Re: Zika St. Lucia/ Sandals Grande

Have a look at Sandals' statement on their website:

http://www.sandals.com/zika-update/

"The safety and well-being of our guests is the top priority for Sandals and Beaches Resorts. With that in mind, we are working diligently in coordination with local governments to ensure the safety of all our valued guests and team members. Led by a team of professionally trained health and safety officers, all Sandals Resorts and Beaches Resorts are Zika free and continue to follow best practices, meeting and exceeding environmental standards for mosquito control successful results."

The statement goes on to describe the precautions they are taking to banish mosquitos, etc.

And obviously that statement ONLY applies to the Sandals resorts, NOT outside the resort should you go on any excursions.

Of course, it is entirely your decision whether you cancel or not - I can understand that should anything awful happen you would never be able to forgive yourself.

Congratulations on your marriage and your pregnancy! I hope you enjoy a fabulous honeymoon, wherever you decide to spend it :)

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
4. Re: Zika St. Lucia/ Sandals Grande

Bon jou Melanie C,

As reported by the World Health Organisation (WHO), the Pan American Health Organisation (PAHO) and the Saint Lucia Health Authorities there has been...

No Zika-Virus-Associated Guillain-Barré Syndrome (GBS) or other neurological disorders

No Congenital Syndrome associated with Zika Virus Infection

No deaths among Zika cases

www.paho.org/hq/index.php…

Bless up! Paul

Edited: 17 May 2017, 17:42
New jersey
Level Contributor
593 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Zika St. Lucia/ Sandals Grande

Very helpful report. 50 confirmed Zika cases. Enough said.

Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Zika St. Lucia/ Sandals Grande

THank you. We've decided to cancel our trip.

London, United...
Level Contributor
222 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Zika St. Lucia/ Sandals Grande

Melanie C - firstly congrats on your pregnancy and a wise decision to cancel.

There will be more rain in July and therefore more mosquitoes - all resorts there do fog their grounds but it is impossible to get rid of all mosquitoes.

Re post 3 and the quote from the Sandals website - hilarious - do they stop the Zika bearing mosquitos at the gate the way they stop anyone else ;) . Absolutely ridiculous and dangerous statement to make. But of course if they have found a way of eradicating The Zika-bearing mosquito Aedes aegypti from all their properties they should share this with WHO who I'm sure will be very interested.

Edited: 18 May 2017, 16:00
8. Re: Zika St. Lucia/ Sandals Grande

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2018, 11:48
Get answers to your questions about Rodney Bay
Recent Conversations