We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi or bus? Currency?

1 post
Save Topic
Taxi or bus? Currency?

Should we use taxi or bus from airport to Royal St Lucia at Rodney Bay? Should we mKe prior arrangements or just catch a taxi at airport upon arrival? Cost? Payment currency accepted?

We are traveling from the US. What form of payment should we be e one red to use at hotel, restaurants, tours, taxis etc?

Mentioned in this post
Royal St Lucia Resort and Spa
Royal St Lucia Resort...
727 Reviews
St. Lucia
Rodney Bay
Rodney Bay
1,006 Reviews
St. Lucia
7 replies to this topic
St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
13,783 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi or bus? Currency?

Taxi is easiest and fastest and most direct way to resort. Readily available at airport, should cost approx $80us and takes about 90 minutes..

East Caribbean Dollars are the legal tender of the island and this accepted everywhere. Easy to exchange some at the bank at rhe airport or use an ATM to withdraw as needed - several available in Rodney Bay within walking distance of resort, and credit cards are accepted at most all restaurants and such in Rodney Bay, etc.

Enjoy.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Rodney Bay
Rodney Bay
1,006 Reviews
St. Lucia
St Ives, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi or bus? Currency?

HI, I wonder how you got on with this? My family and I (2a, 2c) are travelling from UK mid December. We are initially staying at Gros Inlet. I have booked a taxi through the hotel at 130 USD (90 plus additional 20 per person) but I think that's quite a lot. I've looked at the bus and we would be fine doing that but I'm wondering whether it's a nice/safe route etc. and if it's reliable? I don't really want to hire a car as my brother is joining us 3 days after and will have a car then, we're pretty flexible so ideally want the cheapest/easiest way. Thanks

Peaks Island, Maine
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi or bus? Currency?

Usually the best way for tourists to get to a hotel in the north (Gros Islet, Rodney Bay, the Cap, etc.) is to take a taxi or pre-arrange a driver (either from your hotel or do it on your own if you have a contact). It might seem kind of expensive but the roads aren't great on the island because of the terrain and driving is really slow. So, it takes a good 90 minutes or more to get anywhere.

You can take public transportation. The good news is that it's really inexpensive. This is how locals on the island travel who don't have vehicles or good friends (like me ;) ) travel. The problem is that it's time consuming. The public transportation consist of small vans that can get really crowded depending on the time of day, season, where you are going, etc. Typically, the last thing you'll want to do after taking a really long flight to the island is to deal with taking the public transport.

The public transport is safe. Depending on where exactly you are starting from (and where you are going), you'll typically have to take a few different vans (get off at one place and then transfer at another). This sometimes can involve a little walking, or taking a taxi just to get to the location where you can pick up the public transport.

My advice is to use a professional driver. Spend the money, hire a driver/guide who can take you where you need to go. You'll get there faster and get a little tour in and learn something about the island. You might even make a new friend.

If you do multiple trips, you can find a driver/guide and make arrangements for saving a little money because of the repeat business.

$130 US is a little high, but transportation costs on the island are expensive.

Mentioned in this post
Gros Islet
Gros Islet
St. Lucia
Rodney Bay
Rodney Bay
1,006 Reviews
St. Lucia
Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi or bus? Currency?

The bus would be somewhat uncomfortable and time consuming. First you would have to make your way to the main road and grab a bus heading to Viex Fort, then from there another to Castries. The Castries buses do not marshal at the same location as the Gros Islet buses so you would have to find your way to the market and take a third bus to Gros Islet. While it is sometime possible to get the driver to let you put your bags under the rear seat, you would most likely end up having to carry them on your lap for what will probably end up being 2-2/12 hours total.

Now, that said, I plan to bus it from the airport to Gros Islet in December if I can't find someone to share a taxi with, but I'm traveling alone with only carry on and I know my way around Castries, at least enough to get from one bus to the other. Traveling solo I may get luck and catch a bus headed to Castries going past the airport with one empty seat, not as likely with four people. Additionally the guest house I'm staying at is a short walk from the main road.

A taxi at the airport is readily available and if I remember correctly it is $80 US for the up to 3 people and $20 a person additional after that. With all the bus transfers for four people you're probably looking at close to $24 total for everyone.

Mentioned in this post
Castries
Castries
St. Lucia
Gros Islet
Gros Islet
St. Lucia
St Ives, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi or bus? Currency?

Great thanks for that. Seems like I'm best off cancelling my pre booked and just taking a taxi outside airport? Thanks again.

Berkshire
Destination Expert
for Vieux Fort, Gros Islet
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi or bus? Currency?

Hi,

You can get a taxi cheaper. The best way is to pre book one who will not charge you extra for the 4th person. You should end up paying USD 80. If you pick up one at the airport it should be 80+20 = 100.

I would recommend Kurt of Island Man for this. Kurt Joseph <kurt@islandmantaxi.com>. There are others if you want to shop around but he will not disappoint

STEVE.

Edited: 08 November 2017, 03:58
St Ives, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi or bus? Currency?

Great thanks.

Reply to: Taxi or bus? Currency?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Rodney Bay