We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Home chef

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Home chef

Our landlord has quoted us $650 US for a chef to come to our villa and cook a Lucien 3 course meal for 8 people. He supplies the food.

Is this a reasonable price?

Or should we just take a local cooking school class?

Spice Of India
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, Indian
Liz Roti
₹, Caribbean
Jacques Waterfront Dining
₹₹₹₹, French, Caribbean, European
Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,193 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Home chef

Bon jou Carol L,

Seems a reasonable cost for a cooking class and dinner for 8 at home in your villa. Still depends on the chef and the menu, of course...

Is the chef Lucian? Or a "local" ex-pat chef?

Premium meats? Seafood? Lobster? Including alcohol?

Bless up! Paul

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Home chef

Is this person a real chef or just a good cook?

My housekeeper used to run a local restaurant, and she's an excellent cook. Her charge would be $200 US for a multi course meal for eight when she supplies the groceries. Meal includes appetizers, entree (curried or creole chicken, fish, etc) with rice and vegetables, and a cake for dessert. No fancy haute cuisine, and you supply the beverages.

But $650 could be the going rate if the chef is someone like Orlando or another chef that owns and runs a high end restaurant, and the food is "restaurant-fancy"

Edited: 14 February 2017, 22:29
Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Home chef

What experience are you looking for? A cooking class or just a Lucien-style meal at the villa instead of a restaurant?

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Home chef

Congoman... good questions. I never thought to ask if he is Lucian. Does it make a difference?

We haven't got far enough to discuss menu yet. Just making a general inquiry to see how it compares cost wise to taking the cooking class. For $650 US I thought we could get a really nice dinner in a restaurant. But than you have to consider drinks/alcohol cost when you eat out.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Home chef

Pussuskatus... 5 ladies want to take a local Lucian cooking class as they are real foodies. The 3 guys just want to eat good food. So we thought having someone come in to our home to teach us as he cooks might be fun and interesting for everyone. We haven't discussed menu yet. But he supposed to be a "chef"! Maybe a local cook would be a cheaper option.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Home chef

My understanding is that restaurant cooking is far different than home cooking. If you want to learn how a typical St Lucian makes their dinner, then a restaurant chef may be a very expensive option.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Home chef

Pussuskatus...good advice. Thanks

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
430 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Home chef

I'd send the guys to a bar with a TV while the ladies go to the cooking class.

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,193 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Home chef

For USD 650 a good local chef/cook will show you how to cook up a Looshan-style feast that you will remember forever, Carol L! Better than TV... even your men will be hooked. Big up! Paul

@ pussuskattus... not Orlando!

Edited: 15 February 2017, 05:16
Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Home chef

Congomon,

I hope so, thanks for the positive comments.

I am about to can the whole idea!

Get answers to your questions about Rodney Bay
Recent Conversations