We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

KyaukSe Sightseeing

Mandalay, Myanmar
Destination Expert
for Mandalay Region, Myanmar
Level Contributor
2,441 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
KyaukSe Sightseeing

Would like to Burmese Typical Rural Area with Ancient Temples & Pagodas where not many tourists been around Mandalay , It's Kyaukse. You can go and visit there with day return trip from Mandalay. KyaukSe is a small town in Mandalay Region , Myanmar & it has a fertile land , the granary of Central Myanmar since Bagan era. KyaukSe is located 48 Km south of Mandalay & it approximately an hour drive from Mandalay.

Highlights of KyaukSe are ( 1 ) Ta Moke Shwe Gu Gyi Pagoda that 80% of Stacco work in relief of 11th to 12th Century remained & only Stupa where you can find three layer Buddha Statue , decorated floral design , Animals and birds on outer wall. It's recently discovered by locals & it had been hidden inside for a long time with over 600 years. ( 2 ) Shin Pin Set Thwar Pagoda ( 3 ) Dat Taw Taung Cave Temple that is 10 miles east of KyaukSe & need to walk up to the top for 45 minutes with steep stairways ( 4 ) Shwe Tha Lyaung Pagoda , Sitting Buddha with Abaya Mudra & Wai Bu Hill for panoramic view of Shan Mountain Range & KyaukSe Town.

KyaukSe Sightseeing should be best combination with Mekkhaya Ancient city or Paleik Snake Pagoda and with some other attraction sites.

Enjoy your travel around Myanmar!

Mentioned in this post
Bagan Temples
Bagan Temples
5,825 Reviews
Bagan, Myanmar
Mandalay
Mandalay
Mandalay Region, Myanmar
Bagan
Bagan
Mandalay Region, Myanmar
14 replies to this topic
Mandalay, Myanmar
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,441 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: KyaukSe Sightseeing

Annually Elephant Dancing Festival celebrates at KyaukSe the day before Full Moon Day of Tidingyut ( It's in October ). It's also worth to see it!

Yangon (Rangoon...
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: KyaukSe Sightseeing

Sound great.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
348 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: KyaukSe Sightseeing

Kosoesoemdy thank you for interesting post like always full of very helpful information and great highlights to see in KyaukSe. Would like to let you know how much l appreciate the effort and knowledge of Myanmar you share in each post you put on TripAdvisor. Will now do some research on KyaukSe thank you once again.

Mentioned in this post
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: KyaukSe Sightseeing

Thank you for your post on Kyaukse,as well as your many other posts on Myanmar.

I am visiting Myanmar for a month in October (I am very excited and looking forward to exploring the country and meeting its people). Can you please tell me when the Elephant Festival that mentioned is on this year as I have read conflicting dates on various sites. I believe it is the 10th of October but not sure, if it is then I might be able to attend it after attending the Festival at Inle Lake.

As, well as the correct date, can you please tell me the best way to get to Kyaukse by public transport from and back to Mandalay. Are there many accommodation options there? I was originally planning on catching the bus from Inle Lake to Hsipaw on the 9th (arriving Hsipaw in the early hours of the 10th) but might delay the trip to Hsipaw for a day or so if it allows me to go to Kyaukse for the festival.

Thank you

Edited: 11 May 2016, 10:46
Mentioned in this post
Inle Lake
Inle Lake
2,378 Reviews
Nyaungshwe, Myanmar
Mandalay
Mandalay
Mandalay Region, Myanmar
Mandalay, Myanmar
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,441 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: KyaukSe Sightseeing

Elephant Dancing Festival will be celebrated on October 15.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,125 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: KyaukSe Sightseeing

Hi Soesoe-

Does this "Elephant Dancing Festival" involve animals being trained or abused? I am wary of these kinds of things and avoid them at all costs. Please post any details you may have on the treatment of these elephants before we go promoting this event on the forums.

Mandalay, Myanmar
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,441 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: KyaukSe Sightseeing

Dancing Elephants made only by Cloth , Bamboo & Paper. Check it out in Google " Elephant Dancing Festival in Myanmar ". It's one of oldest festivals in here.

Mentioned in this post
Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,125 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: KyaukSe Sightseeing

Ha ha! OK, now I see! I was worried because there ARE festivals like in India, Laos etc where they are used and abused in festivals.

Mentioned in this post
Laos
Laos
Asia
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: KyaukSe Sightseeing

Great info from Kosoesoe! Yes, this festival from Kyaukse is one of the most famous ones in Myanmar!

Mentioned in this post
Mandalay, Myanmar
Level Contributor
41 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: KyaukSe Sightseeing

That is very good information about Kyaukse Kosoesoe and i just would like to add Shwe Thein Daw pagoda on the way back to Mandalay because it is very good place to learn about traditions of the people.

Mentioned in this post
Mandalay
Mandalay
Mandalay Region, Myanmar
Reply to: KyaukSe Sightseeing
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kyaukse
Recent Conversations