We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

historic cemetaries

Vereeniging, South...
1 post
historic cemetaries

is there a historic cemetary with a big angel as a thomestone in aliwal north and is it in a heritage site called buffelsfontein.

2 replies to this topic
Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
3,242 posts
27 reviews
1. Re: historic cemetaries

Goodness - this sounds like a quiz question;-)

I like quizzes so I did the googling for you and found:

visit-south-africa.co.za/Aliwal%20North.html

My guess would be it's this one:

Buffelsvlei – De Wet House and Graveyard

House and graveyard of the pioneering De Wet family on whose farm Buffelsvlei the town was developed. ... The old family graveyard lies on the ridge above. In 1928 the De Wet family raised a monument in memory of their ancestors. The monument can be seen next to the house overlooking Levy Street.

London, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
45 reviews
2. Re: historic cemetaries

Liewe Aarde....I have no idea what the Buffeld-vlie specific title refers to, but I have been to Animal-North and there is a historic graveyard on the southern fringes of town (close to the "Aliwal-Spa...sien jou Daar")

What is historic about it is that it is home tp the remains of the women and children interned in the nearby (Concentration) camp during the Anglo-Boer War.

This topic is quite a difficult one for Afrikaaners, who continue to believe the dreadful mortality rates were due to specific British intentions of reducing Boer numbers, but are now largely believed to be related to the uniquely isolated immune systems of Boer civilians, who led solitary lives, and when housed in close proximity to other people dropped dead as soon as their immune systems were challenged by infection from new people.

It was, as I recall, a very moving place to visit, with the parched brown landscape and the hot dry Karoo wind evoking sympathy for those unfortunate Boer women and children suffering in such a bleak and unforgiving place.

Reply to: historic cemetaries
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Aliwal North