We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colca Canyon Trek ON OUR OWN - Itinerary tips

Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Colca Canyon Trek ON OUR OWN - Itinerary tips

Hi everyone,

My girlfriend and me are travelling to Peru end of June and we want to do one part of the Colca Canyon Trek on our own. We want to do the trek in 2D/1N or 3D/2N. Has someone already made experiences with this sort of trip? Because it’s quite difficult to find information on the web. We would love to plan a bit our itinerary, so that we know which way we have to go, how long we have to go each day and in which town we could sleep.

Thank you guys :)

Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
7,467 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Colca Canyon Trek ON OUR OWN - Itinerary tips

We took a bus from Arequipa to Cabanaconde. We hiked to Llahuar and then to Fure and Sangalle. We slept in Llahuar (Llahuar Lodge) and were going to sleep in Fure and then Sangalle. But it turned out Fure had been recently abandoned so we had to hike on to Sangalle (no room in Malata).

The canyon is beautiful and although our second day was too long because of Fure we really enjoyed hiking in the canyon. Amazing scenery.

This website helped us when we were planning the trek. I am sure that hostel or the hostel we stayed at (Villa Pastor) could help you with your planning:

http://www.pachamamahome.com/cabanaconde.htm

http://www.villapastorcolca.com/index.html

Here is another hotel in Cabanaconde and a map which might help:

valledelfuego.com/eng/colca_canyon_map.html

We loved Llahuar to Fure to Sangalle but if you want to sleep in Fure you would have to take a tent.

After Sangalle we hiked back up to Cabanaconde (steep, took us 3.5 hours). The next morning we took a bus to the Cruz del Condor and after seeing the condors we took a bus from the Cruz del Condor to Arequipa.

Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Colca Canyon Trek ON OUR OWN - Itinerary tips

Thank you for this information. What do you think about this trip:

DAY 1: take the 8:00am (Reyna) Bus from Arequipa to Cabanaconde | hike to San Juan de Chuccho (4 hours) | sleep in San Juan de Chuccho

DAY 2: hike to Consnirhua, Malata & Sangalle | hike back to Cabanaconde | take bus back to Arequipa

Is it possible?

Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
7,467 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Colca Canyon Trek ON OUR OWN - Itinerary tips

According to their website Reyna has a bus at 11 am, not at 8 am. I think the earliest bus is at 9:30 am with Andalucia. It only gets to Cabanaconde around 3 pm. Too late to hike to San Juan de Chuccho.

The second day I think it is 4 hours to Sangalle and it took us 3.5 hours to hike back to Cabanaconde (steep). You would have to have an early start because I believe the last bus from Cabanaconde to Arequipa is at 2 pm unless you want to wait till 10 pm. But other sources say there is a bus at 4 pm as well...

I think there is a 3 am bus though (with Milagros) from Arequipa to Cabanaconde which would get you to Cabanaconde by 9 am or so. Then you could hike down that day and even go as far as Sangalle. And then you only have to hike back up the second day.

Or you could just hike straight down to Sangalle and back up.

Check the possibilities on the links I provided above and look at the map. And discuss with a hotel in Cabanaconde. The hotels and bus websites all seem to have different bus times so try to get them confirmed.

Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Colca Canyon Trek ON OUR OWN - Itinerary tips

I know that bus of 3 am, but that's really masochistic haha :) That's why an 8 am bus would have been perfect....

5. Re: Colca Canyon Trek ON OUR OWN - Itinerary tips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2017, 09:47