We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colca Canyon - Looking for recommendations in general!

Washington DC...
11 posts
Save Topic
Colca Canyon - Looking for recommendations in general!

I have a few days coming from Puno before flying out of Arequipa and I would like to explore the Colca Canyon. Can anyone recommend WHERE to go specifically - which towns, and also where to stay or not stay based on your experiences, WHAT guide or tour company to recommend and WHAT specifically your recommend doing - - hire a guide? do a tour? do a guided hike? ANY SUGGESTIONS APPRECIATED!!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,604 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Colca Canyon - Looking for recommendations in general!

Probably the most common way to do it is on one of the package tours that drive you from Arequipa to Chivay, arriving around noon. You have lunch. Typically you go to your hotel in Chivay or a couple in nearby Yanque and have the afternoon to hike around the canyon or to go to a hot springs. Then you get picked up early the next morning for about a half day trip to the condor lookout, spending about an hour there until they're gone for the day. You end up back in Chivay for lunch and then a drive back to Arequipa. You can also add in a day or more extra if you want to do more day hiking.

There are dozens of places around the Plaza de Armas in Arequipa selling tours like this. Our your hotel in Arequipa can arrange it. Or you can pick a hotel in Chivay or Yanque. Most of them probably have packages like this. The one we used was Kilawasi Lodge.

If you want to do some trekking, you have to go to the town at the other end of the canyon, Cabanaconde, which is 2 hours or so from Chivay near where the condors are. The canyon is a lot deeper there and you can take a few day hikes into the canyon. But I've never done it so don't know much of the details.

Washington DC...
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Colca Canyon - Looking for recommendations in general!

Thank you so much - this is just the kind of information I am looking for! Do you have a hotel in Arequipa you would recommend?

Washington DC...
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Colca Canyon - Looking for recommendations in general!

Kilawasi Lodge is where you stayed in Yanque, right?

Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Colca Canyon - Looking for recommendations in general!

You could go straight to Colca Canyon from Puno and finish in Arequipa. We stayed at the Colca lodge spa and the hotel and scenery were breath taking. The lodge spa is nice and they have their own Alpaca Ranch. I wish we had stayed more than one night.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,604 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Colca Canyon - Looking for recommendations in general!

Yes, we stayed in Kilawasi Lodge in Yanque. Arequipa has lots of hotels. It's a big city. Just pick one in your price range. Lots of reviews here on TA and in most guidebooks. I don't remember the name of the place we stayed. It was right off the main plaza.

Level Contributor
10 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Colca Canyon - Looking for recommendations in general!

Hello,

do you have any suggestions of a 1-day-tour to Colca Canyon from Chivay?

in www I can only find day tour from Arequiba, but i will arrive at Chivay the day before, so i would only need the tour from there

any raccomanded agencies?

thanks

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,604 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Colca Canyon - Looking for recommendations in general!

Chivay is at the canyon. That's why you don't see any tours from Chivay. That's where the tours go. If you talk to your hotel in Chivay, they should be able to put you on a tour to see the condors or to a hot spring or a day hike nearby depending what you want to do. Most visitors would go see the condors in the morning at the other end if the canyon from Chivay.

8. Re: Colca Canyon - Looking for recommendations in general!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2017, 10:47