We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to spend the night

Hammond, Indiana
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Place to spend the night

Hi, Can anyone recommend a good place to spend one night before we take the ferry to Messina the next day? We have a car so parking is important as is ease of getting to the ferry the next morning. I've looked at trip advisor but have not found a place that really seems great. Any ideas, suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you, Velda

7 replies to this topic
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Messina, Bratislava, London
Level Contributor
2,328 posts
1. Re: Place to spend the night

Is there a specific reason you want to spend the night in Villa?

Ferries run also at night. Have a look at the section "by boat" tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187889-s301/Messina:…

Hammond, Indiana
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
2. Re: Place to spend the night

Hi, We are considering spending the night because we are driving from Matera that day (DEC.23) - probably leaving Matera between 10AM - noon. I think that''s about a 5 hour drive baring no problems? It might be dark or close to it by the time we make it to Villa San Giovanni so I thought it might be prudent to stay the night and cross first thing the next morning. We have never made this trip before so we really don't know what to expect. If you think we could easily cross over to Messina that evening and stay somewhere around Messina, I'm game for that. Especially if the accommodation options are more plentiful and appealing than those in San Giovanni. I'm trying to plan and reserve now since we will be right in the middle of the holiday season and I don't want to take any chances with not finding a place to stay. Any thoughts/ help would be great.Thank you, Velda

London, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,328 posts
3. Re: Place to spend the night

The crossing takes only twenty minutes. You can easily cross and spend the night in Messina where you will have more accomodation options and, if you have time, you can also visit the main sights. As it's holiday season, expect queues at the ferry (more likely if you cross on the 24th) and traffic in Messina.

To save time and money buy your tickets as described in the article.

In Messina book a hotel in the centre. Hotels in Messina tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g187889-Messina_Provi…

Rosario

Hammond, Indiana
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
4. Re: Place to spend the night

Thank you, Rosario. We are now considering Messina. Your tips, advice and the information are really appreciated. All the best, Velda

Edited: 16 May 2013, 19:54
Claremont, CA
Level Contributor
32 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Place to spend the night

Try Airbnb.com...I booked a months of apartments at affordable prices....they list everything from rooms to entire villas...

Having been stationed at Sigonella Sicily. my would not miss...if you can go off the track...look into Taormina! Beautiful beach...charming town!....You will love it!!!!

London, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,328 posts
6. Re: Place to spend the night

You are welcome Velda.

Hotel Sant'Elia could be a good solution http://www.hotelsantelia.com/en/english.htm It's in a good position and it has got good reviews on TA. It's about ten minutes by car from the ferry port (really easy to get to) and about ten/fifteen from the Autostrada (as I presume you will continue to somewhere else). It's also near the centre and the main sight (The Cathedral).

They don't have a car park, but there's one nearby where you can have a special price (according to their website).

Hammond, Indiana
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
7. Re: Place to spend the night

Thank you for the Messina hotel and touring information, Rosario.

And Robin, we do plan to visit Taormina. It really does sound lovely but we will do that at the end of our trip, not the start..

Thanks to all of you, Velda

Reply to: Place to spend the night
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Villa San Giovanni