We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Construction on Rt 3?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Construction on Rt 3?

I'm heading to Acadia in the next month (I know, late planner) and worried about the construction I'm hearing about. I'm looking at the map and there looks like there are other options to Rt 3 when staying closer to downtown Bar Harbor -- am I wrong? I am considering either the Wonder View Inn or the Atlantic Oceanside Hotel. Can you walk to Bar Harbor from the AO hotel? It says it's only a mile to downtown Bar Harbor -- which is a fine walk for me if it's not along a super busy street. What about taking the shuttle? Should I avoid Bar Harbor altogether? There's availability at the Kimball Terrace Inn. My one concern is that I do want to take a day trip north to visit the Passamaquoddy area (about a 2-hour drive -- I'm part Passamaquoddy and have never been there) and I don't want to spend hours getting off of Mt Desert Island. Any advice welcome -- for lodging and otherwise!

1 reply
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
7,461 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Construction on Rt 3?

Yes, there is construction on Route 3 just to the north of the village of Bar Harbor. Traffic and all businesses will be open in the construction area. The highway is limited to one way traffic, heading south into Bar Harbor. There is an easy bypass when heading north, off the island.

You are correct that staying right in the village of Bar Harbor you will not need to travel the part of highway 3 that is under construction, once you have made it into town. All of Acadia National Park sits to the south and west of the village of Bar Harbor, away from the construction zone. However, neither Wonder View Inn or Atlantic Oceanside is right in the village. Both are in the construction area. Walking to town from Atlantic Oceanside is certainly possible but probably not pleasant, as you would walk along the construction area with the beeping trucks, dust, and noise. Wonder View Inn, being on the other side of the highway, can be accessed from the back side, thus avoiding the highway by traveling some side streets.

The Kimball Terrace Inn would be a fine alternative. Northeast Harbor is a lovely village and Acadia National park is easily accessed from it. The Kimball Terrace Inn does have a water view. There are boat trips that leave from the harbor. One of the entrances to Acadia National Park, the Stanley Brook Entrance, is nearby.

Getting off the island to head north in Maine is easily accomplished either from Northeast Harbor or Bar Harbor without hitting the construction area. In any case, there will be no hours long delay of traffic. It's harder to get through Ellsworth with all its stop lights and traffic than it is to get around Mount Desert Island, even with the Route 3 construction. You'll be fine.

Reply to: Construction on Rt 3?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mount Desert Island