We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chidambaram to Tiruvannamalai

Jiv
Batu Caves, Malaysia
8 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
Chidambaram to Tiruvannamalai
Save

I will be visiting India in December 2019 from Malaysia for temple and spiritual visit. I will be backpacking due to very limited budget hence I will be relying on public transportation such as trains and buses to get around. I have about one day in Chidambaram and would like the following advice/opinion of respected members:

1. What are the must see religious places (so far Thillai Nataraja temple and Thillai Amman temple)

2. Are the any gurus / ashrams / saints that I can visit in Chidambaram to get blessings

3. I will be leaving Chidambaram to Tiruvannamalai on December 21st (saturday). I checked online there are no trains on Saturdays from Chidambaram to Tiruvannamalai and I can't find any information on bus as well. Can anyone advice whether buses go direct from Chidambaram bus stand to Tiruvannamalai and what is their frequency like.

Hope members will be kind enough to share. Thank you.

3 replies to this topic
Madurai, India
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras)
Level Contributor
5,715 posts
63 reviews
108 helpful votes
1. Re: Chidambaram to Tiruvannamalai
Save

You will get bus if not direct you will have to change at another town inquire at bus stand they will guide you

Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
413 posts
27 reviews
8 helpful votes
2. Re: Chidambaram to Tiruvannamalai
Save

Chidambaram to Tiruvannamalai direct bus frequency is less. Few long destination buses Tirupattur, Tirupathi & Vellore will go through Tiruvannamalai.

If you could not find one, change over buses at Cuddalore / Villupuram. There is a daily passenger train runs from Chidambaram to Tiruvannamalai,.(Original start and end points are Mayiladuthurai and Tirupathi) You cannot find this info in any website. It is 9 coach unreserved train.

Dep time from Chidambaram : 16:30. Arrival time Tiruvannamalai - 20:30.

Check the time table of the two different train numbers below. But it is the same train. You dont need to change over at Villupuram.

https://indiarailinfo.com/train/timetable/mayiladuthurai-villupuram-passenger-56876/21805/2755/785#st

https://indiarailinfo.com/train/timetable/villupuram-katpadi-passenger-56886/21813/785/6917#st

Edited: 3 years ago
Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
220 posts
3. Re: Chidambaram to Tiruvannamalai
Save

in chidambaram there is thillai nadarajar temple as you already known. for visiting any ashram you can prefer tiruvannamalai like ramana maharishi ashram and lot others. there are lot of temples near to chidambaram too like sirkazhi temple, gangai konda cholapuram and kumbakonam. if you dont have time and doesnt like to add you can take a bus directly from chidambaram to tiruvanamalai. there is no timing. but buses are there without timing. even any buses to vellore and tirupathi will go via thiruvanamalai. if doesnt want to wait then take a bus to panruti or villupuram and change over from there. by this way you will lot more of buses. there is no train link between the two towns. for train you have to go to villupuram and change over to bus to tiruvanamalai

Reply to: Chidambaram to Tiruvannamalai
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Chidambaram
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.