We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Primosten Stop off

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
109 posts
11 reviews
Primosten Stop off

If driving from Rijeka to Split, would Primosten be a good place to stop overnight? We have a week in Istria with a rental car, then a week on a cruise starting from Split. We plan on allowing a day to get down from Rijeka to Split but with one overnight stop on the way and thought Primosten might be a nice stop. Happy to listen to other suggestions. We are travelling in early June, like little villages, maybe coastal but not necessarily very busy places.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,801 posts
170 reviews
1. Re: Primosten Stop off

Primosten is beautiful, but it is very close to Split.

Look at somewhere near Zadar, maybe Bibinje, Sukosan or Biograd, or Plitvice.

Edited: 10 February 2015, 16:09
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
109 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: Primosten Stop off

Thank you I will definitely check out the places you mentioned. We need to have the car returned in Split late morning, so didn't want to have too far to travel that day.

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
7,074 posts
77 reviews
3. Re: Primosten Stop off

I would certainly choose Primosten then as it would take the pressure off getting to Split, particularly if you are driving into the center of Split.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,801 posts
170 reviews
4. Re: Primosten Stop off

All the places I mentioned are only 1.5 hours from Split airport.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
109 posts
11 reviews
5. Re: Primosten Stop off

Thank you for your info. Those towns mentioned do look nice. But now wonder if we should go inland and stop at Krka National Park, as we will not have time to detour to Plitvic Lakes. I'm a bit of an obsessive planner but very tempted this time to just drive until we feel like stopping if it wasn't for the fact i believe it will be leading up to a long public holiday weekend.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
109 posts
11 reviews
6. Re: Primosten Stop off

Thanks Sydney 1.5hrs probably most we want to travel into Split in the morning as we need the time to see Split before getting the boat the following day.

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
7,074 posts
77 reviews
7. Re: Primosten Stop off

If you visit Krka NP then a night in Skradin would be good and very direct route to Split too.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
109 posts
11 reviews
8. Re: Primosten Stop off

Thanks Jude, can you recommend Krka NP or is it overly populated with tourists? Any more so than the coast would be. Shouldn't complain about tourists as we will be 2 ourselves.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,801 posts
170 reviews
9. Re: Primosten Stop off

I think Krka NP is excellent idea. You could then stay overnight in Skradin and could drive to Split the next morning via Sibenik and Primosten, or just drive direct to Split. Krka NP won't be too busy early June.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
109 posts
11 reviews
10. Re: Primosten Stop off

Thanks Sydney, things are falling into place now. That all makes sense and I like the idea of being able to see Krka NP and Primosten. Now I am a little more ipad savvie have just loaded a Primosten App. Another question which probably should go to travel forum - will it be that much longer to travel south from Istria via the coast road rather than motorway?

Get answers to your questions about Primosten