We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Maramures

Galion, Ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
One day in Maramures

We have one day to circle up into the beautiful Maramures by car from Clug and back. Can anyone suggest the best route to drive to see the most? We are partial to authentic rather than just touristy.

Thank you!

12 replies to this topic
Sighetu Marmatiei...
Level Contributor
119 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: One day in Maramures

You need 4-4,5 hours to get to real Maramures (not Baia Mare!) so, all day will be spent on the road. If don't sleep at least one night in Maramures, don't go there.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,625 posts
208 reviews
2. Re: One day in Maramures

I presume you mean Cluj as your starting point. I think your plan to visit the Maramures region in one day is unrealistic. You'll find that your average driving speed will only be 55kph. Journeys take a lot longer than you might think. To get any sort of feel of the area I reckon needs at least a two night stay in my experience.

Galion, Ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: One day in Maramures

Thank you...i wish we could!! But since we can't, what one beautiful road should we drive on?

Maramures
Level Contributor
742 posts
35 reviews
4. Re: One day in Maramures

I agree this is a long journey and you won't have time to see much. However this route is much better and wilder than going through Baia Mare. Take main road towards BM and around 20 km North of dej take turning on right 18B to targu lapus from TL take 109f to lapus and then on towards Cavnic. At end of road turn right and pass the ski slopes before dropping down into budest and Breb area. It's a nice drive but make sure you have a full tank of petrol and watch out for animals and horses and carts on the road

Galion, Ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: One day in Maramures

Thank you..I'm mapping it out now!

Galion, Ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: One day in Maramures

Do you mean to drop down to Breb on the 109F?

Maramures
Level Contributor
742 posts
35 reviews
7. Re: One day in Maramures

Yes and visit budest on the way. If you want to make this circular continue to vadu ize then take 86 to Sacel where you look for a turning on your right 17c which will take you to saliva where you should join 17d to the main route 17 and back to dej.remember these are very small roads often single lane. Near vadu ize is sighet where you will need to get petrol. There are no petrol station on this route. Sighet also has super markets and resteraunts though I can't see how you will have time to eat this is an all day in the car day. You may see a lot considering the amount of time involved.

Breb, Romania
Level Contributor
563 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: One day in Maramures

The 4-4,5 hours mentioned by Teofil is not correct. If you take the route mentioned by Rob, it takes a bit more than 2,5 hours from the airport from Cluj (from the centre count on a bit more than 3 hours). Still, it will be a very tiring day.

9. Re: One day in Maramures

Stop & eat trout & polenta at Pastravaria Alex if you don't gave time to sleep 1 night at least.

Edited: 23 July 2017, 18:13
Galion, Ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
10. Re: One day in Maramures

Thank you so much.. you've all been a great help!

Reply to: One day in Maramures
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Maramures County