We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diani beach res best for kids

London, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Diani beach res best for kids

Hi all

I've spent many hours trying to find something good for both of us, first in Malindi, only to realise sand is yellow and sea is muddy brown there, now in Diani...

Southern Palms res seems ok but not clear if they have kids club to keep them busy, not baby sitting, I don't need it, but some pool or beach activities and games. Also somewhere within £1300 budget for 2 weeks in Dec before xmas. Pref AI or HB at least...

It's a mine field between honey-money places with tiny pools and rough post-safari lodges and very expensive hotels without kids entertainment.

Blue Marlin seems very nice too but tiny pool and nothing for kids? Papillon is cheap but boring it seems.

Would appreciate some help with choices....

Thank you!

K

23 replies to this topic
Wales, United...
Level Contributor
209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Diani beach res best for kids

I will pick Southern Palms beach hotel or kole kole baobab beach hotel both in Diani. They have alot to offer both for you and your kid too. You can as well check on Amani tiwi as it has been frequently mention on this forum with alot of kids forum.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,516 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diani beach res best for kids

Indeed Malindi beach is not very nice, but if you goto the Marine Park (Casaurina area ), beach is quite clean. Although can't recommend any hotels there that is good for kids.

Have a look these "kids friendly" options ( in no particular order ) :

1. Turtle Bay Beach Hotel ( Watamu )

2. Whitesands & Severin ( Bamburi )

3. Reef Hotel ( Nyali )

4. Serena ( Shanzu Beach )

5. Diani Sea Resort & Kole Kole Baobab ( Diani )

Bamburi Beach has Haller Park, Yuls Aquadrome ( water sports ), glass bottom rides, camel rides...etc.

Try not to go for FB, as lunch / dinner menu is almost the same. Unless youre a heavy drinker with a big appetite, then consider AI.

Most hotels have restaurants where you can indulge in junk food like burgers, fish'n'chips, pizzas, sand wiches, fries.. etc. therefore HB is s good option too.

Edited: 10 September 2017, 18:36
Level Contributor
732 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Diani beach res best for kids

I live a few steps from Diani Sea Resort and it never struck me as child friendly so I don't know why you recommended it Stefan. The pool complex is small and they'd have to compete with the adults. There there is the 7 foot, unfenced sea wall dropping off to the beach, a terrible eyesore but also something to worry about the young ones falling off.

The guests tend to be elderly repeat customers and that is another drawback for kids.

Level Contributor
732 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Diani beach res best for kids

One further thing to note is that the pools are typically not behind fences (apparently not required by Kenyan law). So even if signs prohibit swimming after a certain time, children could theoretically reach the pool's edge in off hours when no one is watching.

London, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Diani beach res best for kids

Connor656

Armani tiwi looks good and has kids club. Didn't consider Because of the reviews...but will look again.

Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Diani beach res best for kids

Phillip

I've got very well behaved typical 6yo Brit for a child lol so will be ok without fences. But thanks for comment about wall drop, just something I wouldn't enjoy as would like open flat access to the beach so can play on the sand but still within hotels area for obvious reasons

K

London, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Diani beach res best for kids

Stefan

Thanks you are v helpful again.

Options 1-4 are quite pricey although Tomas cook.de has good offers. They all struck me as high end honey moony places but will have a closer look

Oh and re HB - perfect advice! Not a drinker just AI always easier with kids but I always found we weren't hungry by lunch if breakfast was good. And because of early bed time we have early dinners too. So HB should be ok.

K

Edited: 10 September 2017, 19:44
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,516 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Diani beach res best for kids

All recommendations are listed on TA.

Do read up on the hotel descriptions, amenities, animations programs ( if any ) & customer reviews.

Hotel breakfast is possibly best meal of the day.

A sumptuous buffet breakie comprising of fresh juices, fruits, pastries, breads, toast, pancakes, eggs of your choice, sausage, bacon, baked beans & hot / cold beverages.

Bring along Sunscreen lotions, its expensive here.

Finally, do get protected from malaria. It's a deadly killer, malaria is rife at the coast.

Karibu

Level Contributor
732 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Diani beach res best for kids

<<All recommendations are listed on TA>>

That seems to be how you find out about them Stefan. We can do a little better on this forum by discussing places we've actually experienced. When you listed those places did you research their child facilities?

10. Re: Diani beach res best for kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11 September 2017, 10:19

Reply to: Diani beach res best for kids
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted