We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DM tours vs. Marco Polo

2 posts
Save Topic
DM tours vs. Marco Polo

Hi, I'm looking to book a 2 night, 3 day safari to Tsavo East and West in October. I've narrowed it down to Marco Polo or DM tours, but the price difference is quite a lot.

DM Tours = €549 per person (severin safari camp and Ashnil Aruba lodges)

Marco Polo = €420 per person (Ashnil Aruba and Serena kilanguni lodges)

I've asked DM tours what the difference would be, but no reply yet - any ideas if it's worth paying extra? Both companies have good reviews, so swaying towards Marco Polo.

Also any other advice for 10 days in Diani Beach is welcome!!

Thanks

Sarah

9 replies to this topic
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
582 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: DM tours vs. Marco Polo

10 days in Diani....

Diani is a popular base for

Beach holidays, water sports, National Park trip to shimba hills and hike to sheldrick water falls,

Snorkelling and dolphin trip to wasini,

Try Robert safaris at Marco polo shopping centre next to Neptune village hotel for snorkelling and dolphin trip, http://www.robertsafarisadventure.com/

Recently there has been changes in public transport in Diani beach area, the Minibuses or Matatu have been replaced with Tuk Tuk (motorised tricycle),

transport by Tuk Tuk or boda boda (also called piki piki or motor bikes) is cheap,

taxis are also available but good negotiation skills are important here,

The public transport mini buses to Ferry port start the journey from place called Rongai, you would need a taxi or other transport from Diani beach to Rongai, its only about 5 minutes from Nakumat supermarket or Barclay's bank in Diani beach,

A busy touristy place on the weekends is Forty Thieves Beach Bar & Restaurant,

2. Re: DM tours vs. Marco Polo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 September 2017, 16:04

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,512 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DM tours vs. Marco Polo

Hi - can't advice on DM tours vs. Marco Polo but, can give some insight on Severin vs. Serena.

Both Severin & Kilaguni are excellent.

Severin belongs a German, they also have a hotel in Bamburi called Severin Sea Lodge.

http://www.severinsealodge.com/en.html

Serena is a 5-Star Group of Lodges.

http://www.serenahotels.com/default-en.html

It's a tough decision btwn Severin & Serena, you can't go wrong with either.

Does the price include Park Entry Fees ?

You can also shop around for safari packages when you reach Diani.

Things to do in Diani:

1. Day trip to Shimba Hills / Sheldrick Falls

2. Snorkelling ,Dolphin spotting & dhow lunch to Wasini

3. Delicious food at Bidi Badu, Ali Barbour Cave & Forty Thieves

4. Glass bottom boat trips to explore the reef & marine life.

Good Luck

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
206 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: DM tours vs. Marco Polo

Is the price include park fees?

As i can see from the KWS portal the park fees is $60per person for 24hrs. I dont know much the cost of the lodges and transport cost but be on the watchout too on the above.

2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: DM tours vs. Marco Polo

Thanks, this is really helpful. I'll double check about park fees, I assumed they were included, but maybe not!

bedlington...
Level Contributor
10 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DM tours vs. Marco Polo

Hi I have visited Diani beach for many years now and have put together a Fact Sheet. If you would like to email me I will send you a copy.

anne@kenyantravel.co.uk

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,730 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: DM tours vs. Marco Polo

Anne,

Please read the forum guidelines especially those for businesses and their representatives, self promotion and soliciting is not allowed, this includes posting contact details, email addresses, websites, etc

bedlington...
Level Contributor
10 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: DM tours vs. Marco Polo

Oops sorry just trying to be helpful

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
235 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: DM tours vs. Marco Polo

DM is using Ashnil, which is slightly lower than Kilaguni both in luxury and rating, and their prices are higher. Marco Polo are doing a mix of Ashnil and Kilaguna, with lower rates. I will grab Marco Polo offer any time. Serena Kilaguni has a 5 star rating, pure luxury and has a water hole where you can watch animals in the evening from the main restaurant which is build on an elevation. My vote is on Marco Polo, though DM tours still have very good reputation.

N.

Reply to: DM tours vs. Marco Polo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted