We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary suggestions for 10 day trip

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary suggestions for 10 day trip

Hi there

We're looking to go to Kenya in September/October for 10 days and would like a few days by the beaches and a few days on 'safari'. It looks like the best connection would be to fly in to Nairobi from London and then over to Mombasa? I then thought we might stay in Diani Beach for a few days and is it then easy to book a 2/3 day safari trip locally? When flying back, do flights go regularly between Mombasa and Nairobi?

Thanks for any suggestions

12 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
717 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary suggestions for 10 day trip

Diani is a bit further from Tsavo West/East than the North Coast resorts, but you can get there by road in 4-5 hours and there are plenty of safari booking offices.

As for flights, there are many each day between Nairobi and Mombasa but as people are choosy about airlines I suggest going on kayak.com to explore the options yourselves. You can also fly directly from Nairobi to Diani (Ukunda) but this route isn't served by international carriers so you need to ticket it separately and change airlines in Nairobi.

Edited: 31 July 2017, 21:47
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,506 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary suggestions for 10 day trip

Why can't you find a flight direct to Moi Intl. Airport ?

Pointless flying to NBO since you want to combine Beach vacation with safari.

Tsavo East is a 4-5 hour drive from the coast. It's even closer from Malindi. Plenty of nice hotels in Malindi too. Watamu is even better.

Have a look at Turtle Bay Beach Hotel in Watamu. And you can squeeze in a short safari to Tsavo East.

Karibu.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary suggestions for 10 day trip

Thanks for your suggestions but there aren't any direct flights from London to Mombasa so I think I would need to go via Nairobi.

I'll check out the other places you have recommended!

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary suggestions for 10 day trip

Thank you Philip1994 for your suggestions.

Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
122 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary suggestions for 10 day trip

Land in Nairobi, an early morning flight and then drive down as you safari to Amboseli and Tsavo, 4 or 5 days would be most ideal.

Lia.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,073 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary suggestions for 10 day trip

Little Grem, several options for you to consider:

1. Fly from London (LHR) to Nairobi (NBO) and then to Mombasa (MB) - best flight for this would be Kenya Airways (KQ), as you would be issued a single ticket, so if there are any flight delays, etc., they would take care of you. Some KQ flights are routed via CDG (Paris) or AMS (Amsterdam) which means an additional puddle jumper from LHR, so try and get on the direct LHR NBO flight.

2. Fly from LHR to MBA via ADD (Addis) or IST (Istanbul) on either Ethiopian or Turkish.

3. Fly into NBO and then connect onto Jambo Jet (subsidiary of KQ) direct to Ukunda (Diani) from MBA or transfer from NBO to Wilson Airport and then fly Safarilink to Ukunda.

4. Drive - I would avoid this. WIll take you close to 10 hours from Nairobi to Diani.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary suggestions for 10 day trip

My husband and I went to Kenya Sept/Oct last year, we had 16 days so a little longer than you. We flew from London to Nairobi, went on safari from Nairobi and then flew to Mombasa for our relaxing leg on the beach. We had a great time and organised it all ourselves, it was very easy to do but we did the organising before we left England so that we didn't waste precious days sorting things out in Kenya. My advise would be to make arrangements before you go.

Are you wedded to safari from Mombasa rather than doing it first and then relaxing? There seemed to be many more options if you safari from Nairobi. Either way, flights between Mombasa and Nairobi are very regular, hourly I think. We chose to stay at the Voyager Hotel in Mombasa as the transfer time from the hotel to the airport was reasonable and didn't disproportionately add to the travel at the end of holiday which is always the worst time as I never want my holidays to end!

I hope you have a fabulous time we loved it.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
235 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary suggestions for 10 day trip

My suggestion: Fly into Nairobi, and embark on a safari that will either end up in Mombasa or Malindi. From Nairobi, head to Amboseli National Park, Tsavo West National park then proceed to Mombasa or any coastal destination like Malindi. You can then fly back to Nairobi after your beach vacations. There are daily flights from Mombasa to Nairobi, same to Malindi.

N.

London UK
Level Contributor
24 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary suggestions for 10 day trip

From the UK best bet is H/Row to Nairobi then Nairobi to Mombasa There are obviously wait times between planes and these can be long, so research required.. You can get a flight from Nairobi to Ukunda which cuts out a 1.5 hour journey and the ferry to Diani Beach but they are pretty expensive. A 3 day 2 night safari to the Masai Mara isn't cheap but it is the best. Pick up from hotel, fly from Ukunda airstrip (only 10 mins away) and land right in the middle of the Mara. J T safaris are best we have had, can pay deposit in sterling and balance when you arrive. It can take st least 5 hours to get to Tsavo by road, a gruelling journey.

London, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary suggestions for 10 day trip

I go in Dec for almost 3 weeks. Flying to Mombasa via Istanbul with Turkish airlines. 2 weeks on the beach, then safari from Mombasa to Nairobi, 5 days and fly back to London from Nairobi via IST.

Most people do safari first and it's easier to fly to Nairobi but direct flight is pricey esp you left it so late now.

Flying from Nairobi to Ukunda or Malindi is not cheap and only 1 or 2 flights so might be long connection. Mombasa is easier to fly to.

If you want beach then you can take London- Nairobi flight, find safari that drops you at Mombasa and fly back Mombasa-London.

Or just Lon-moi-Lon via Istanbul and safari at Tsavo. Prob easier and keeps it simple and on the budget if that's what you looking for.

Reply to: Itinerary suggestions for 10 day trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted