We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Animal Life

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
14 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Animal Life

I am a true animal lover and sometimes on these islands you see starving dogs and cats? Did anyone who has been to Sandals Whitehouse experienced any of this?

Mentioned in this post
Sandals South Coast
Sandals South Coast
7,636 Reviews
Jamaica
Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Animal Life

We are animal lovers as well. No dogs or cats there. You will see them on the trip there though. Some of the Sandals properties in Jamaica do have cats, but they are far from starving! The guests keep them "plumped up", lol!

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
NY
Level Contributor
557 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Animal Life

Hi lovepalmtrees,

Some of the resorts will feed the cats because they take care of the rodents. I would always feed any leftovers to the cats and dogs that I saw. You can also bring cat and dog food with you to help feed any strays that you might see.

If you want to more to help the animals of Jamaica, check out the website of The Animal House which is located in Ocho Rios. Maureen, the owner, does so much to help so many strays in that area.

Have a nice trip.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Ocho Rios
Ocho Rios
Jamaica
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
14 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Animal Life

Thank you both for your responses. It would really spoil my trip to see starving animals, bad enough they are strays and not spoiled companions. Happy New Year to you both.

Jamaica
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Animal Life

lovepalmtrees:

Thank you for your concern for the island's forgotten animals. We are doing our best to help as many as we can. It is a heartbreaking task at times...but each little life saved makes it worthwhile.

5. Re: Animal Life

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 15:50
Get answers to your questions about Savanna La Mar