We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wild Camping Possibilities

Ruggerby
Level Contributor
26 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Wild Camping Possibilities

Hi All. Does anybody know what the best options are for camping (tent, not campervan) on arrival at Lochboisdale on the 9pm ferry?

We are 2 back-packers, with small tent, and needing a bit of a space to crash for the night. Clearly arriving at this late hour doesn't give us long to find a spot as it'll be getting dark. And we really don't want to upset any of the locals.

Advice very welcome.

5 replies to this topic
Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
3,376 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wild Camping Possibilities

I think you are best asking this on a specific camping or wild camping website to be honest..

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wild Camping Possibilities

Try phoning the Lochboisdale TIC tel:+441878700286

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
8,288 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wild Camping Possibilities

There is rough grass and open ground behind the Lochboisdale Hotel, right by the pier. You may be able to camp there.

Scotland
Level Contributor
255 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wild Camping Possibilities

What time of year are you coming up? It's daylight until after 10pm at the moment and the days are only getting longer.

Do you have access to a vehicle? Wild camping is generally accepted on the West coast machair

Ruggerby
Level Contributor
26 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wild Camping Possibilities

Thanks. We will up later this month so I expect it'll be light enough for us to walk out of Lochboisdale and find a bit of ground. I just don't want to upset the locals by camping where I shouldn't. We will be on foot so camping on the machair sounds wonderful.

Reply to: Wild Camping Possibilities
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lochboisdale