We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time traveler from Rome

Fort Collins...
1 post
Save Topic
first time traveler from Rome

My daughter is studying abroad next semester in Castiglion Fiorentino and I'm looking for the best advice for her traveling alone from Rome. She arrives early next Tuesday morning. Also, any advice about the best way to pay, Euro cash, Visa etc would be helpful

7 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,314 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time traveler from Rome

There are Regionale trains that leave from Rome Termini and Rome Tiburtina and stop at Castiglion Fiorentino, taking around 2h45 and costing €10.95.

If she is going to fly into Rome and go immediately to Castiglion Fiorentino, she can buy tickets for the whole journey at the station at FCO airport. She should take the FR1 suburban train (not the Leonardo Express) from the airport to Tiburtina, and change trains there.

You can get train times and costs from www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html using a date in the next 7 days to get costs on these trains. It is absolutely pointless trying to buy in advance for these trains. There are no seat reservations and tickets cannot sell out.

New Delhi, India
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: first time traveler from Rome

i will b travelling from rome to venice.want to make a stopover in tuscany for two days.not able to decide if castiglion fiorenti or valdorcia or some other place in tuscany?suggest

New Delhi, India
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: first time traveler from Rome

i m travellin in january in europe.my main cities/countries r rome(startin point).tuscay.venice,switzerland,paris.we r planning to hire a car for this trip.our average stay per destination will b 3 days.i know it's ridiculously short stay.but there r some constraints.since we will b hiring a car from rome after finishin the trip at paris we will drive back to rome.i know it will take around 10 hrs .but no prob.we r 3 drivers.my main concern is-WILL IT B O.K TO DRIVE THROUGH THESE REGIONS IN THE MONTH OF JAN?CAN SNOW PROVE TO B A HURDLE WHILE DRIVING?

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Level Contributor
8,669 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first time traveler from Rome

Yes snow can be a problem, and will be in the mountainous regions. I don't think I would choose to do so much driving ever, let alone at that time of year. I would advise you to forget about the car and take the train. The trip sounds exhausting enough, without adding the stress of driving in bad weather.

New Delhi, India
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: first time traveler from Rome

thank u i will consider your point

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first time traveler from Rome

I am traveling from Rome (FCO) to Castiglion Fiorentino next month and would like advice on the best way to get from the airport to Roma Termini, which I assume will be where I need to go to get to Castiglion Fiorentino, where my daughter is studying. It looks as if departures to the town are limited (Trenitalia website), and I will be arriving into FCO about 14:05. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,893 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: first time traveler from Rome

You can take the Leonardo Express train from FCO direct (no stops) to Termini (main Rome train station) - cost is 14 euros per person; or take a taxi from the official taxi rank, price still 40 euros flat fare FCO to Termini.

Reply to: first time traveler from Rome
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Castiglion Fiorentino
Recent Conversations