We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bad begging experience at Jhansi station

Brighton
Level Contributor
174 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Bad begging experience at Jhansi station

I was waiting at Jhansi station recently for the train to Agra with my husband when an old beggar woman approached with a child, jangling a tin with a picture of a Hindu god on it. So,we gave them 20 rupees and thought that would be the end of it. How wrong we were. Clearly, the woman was dissatisfied with the amount given and set about humiliating us by causing a huge scene - screaming at the top of her voice and shoving the money and tin in our faces for the next 10 minutes. Were we not waiting for a train and laden with luggage we would have walked away, but instead we just stayed put and ignored her. I was even more furious though when all the men on the platform gathered around us in a circle about 4 men deep and began laughing at whatever this woman was saying. No one intervened and I felt very intimidated. Even when the woman moved on they stayed around us in a circle for the next 5 minutes smiling. It was a very unpleasant experience.

I suppose what I want to know is if anyone has ever had a similar experience and if others would recommend NEVER giving to beggars as a general rule.

Thanks.

Visakhapatnam
Level Contributor
362 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bad begging experience at Jhansi station

Sorry for the bad experience you had! As a general rule, it is recommended never give anything to the beggars. Most of the times, begging is an organized activity controlled by local mafia and the money you goes to the local mafia.

Locals wouldn't even spare a rupee, you gave Rs 20, maybe she did that to get some more out of you!

In case of large waiting times, it is recommended to use the waiting rooms at the stations.

IMO, the people in the travel industry should lobby and pressurize the government to make stations, attractions, transportation etc safe and comfortable for the tourists, rather than painting rosy pictures of safety in India on the TA forums.

Visakhapatnam
Level Contributor
362 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bad begging experience at Jhansi station

If you are interested in giving or donating to charity or a cause, then this link should help.

http://www.giveindia.org/default.aspx?TPS=RI

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Bad begging experience at Jhansi station

I agree with vs_hi. Begging is a scourge.

It is understandable that early you are moved (or bugged) enough to give something away but it is highly discouraged. It only makes more of them interested in you.

Sorry you had to go through it.

Brighton
Level Contributor
174 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bad begging experience at Jhansi station

I agree about using the waiting rooms, though we had been told there would be one on the last platform. It would have taken 10 minutes to carry our luggage all the way back to platform 1 where there was one, so we decided to stick it out...until our train was announced as being 2 hours late!

I will bear the website mentioned in mind, thank you for that, and I'll think again before ever giving to beggars in future. Thanks again for all replies.

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
8,005 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bad begging experience at Jhansi station

Golden rule is to ignore beggers and hawkers who are running after you. They will leave you the moment they feel they are not able to make any impact on you.

More you feel annoyed and they will be after you. Keep quite and ignore that is how we indians do.

deepak

6. Re: Bad begging experience at Jhansi station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 13:10
Get answers to your questions about Jhansi