We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending money

Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
Spending money

I really am on a tight budget and on reading some of the resturant reviews

They seem a lot more expensive than kalamaki 2 years ago. Can anyone tell me if there are any cheap restaurants in the three villages or town. Getting a little worried...

Whitley, United...
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spending money

Hi as everyone has a different interpretation of cheap, what amount are you looking at spending an evening ?

We normally budget for 100 euro a day for a couple, out of this we usually buy the odd gifts, treats for ourselves etc.

Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Spending money

I was spending about 40 euros in kalamaki for a good meal plus drinks for three of us. We like a couple if drinks in the day plus the odd run to the supermarket and breakfast... Taking 1400 euros...

S Wales
Level Contributor
110 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spending money

Cheapest I paid for a family of 4 was just over 50 euros in Alchemist. This day was when my youngest had a childs meal. All other days it was 4 adult meals. Most expensive we paid was 80 euros but this was with and extra round of drinks.

Average we were paying was 60-65. Hardly had deserts and no starters. Beer in all the restaurants 3.50. I think a 500ml carafe of wine was around 6.50.

Some restaurants in Piskopiano were advertising large beer for either 2.00 or 2.50.

Trap nice cocktails but 8.00 euros so try Cafe Astra where they are 6.00 if you like cocktails.

Cafe Greco cheapest beer i found in village -3.00 euro and I think cocktails there 6.50.

Hersonnissos is cheaper.

If your not looking at steak your looking at around 9.50 to 14.50 a meal with plenty of choice.

Level Contributor
103 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spending money

you can spend around 10 euros per person if you choose carefully and don't have starters and puds I reckon but the restaurants on the harbour are cheaper-drink and a burger for 6.50 and pizza and drink for 9.50

Edited: 16 August 2016, 22:21
wigan
Level Contributor
245 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spending money

Laini taverna in the village is a meze restaurant 20 courses for €15pp we ordered 2 between 5 of us & couldn't move we were that stuffed excellent typical greek cuisine the locals were eating in there as well which is always a good sign

S Wales
Level Contributor
110 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spending money

Lunch time i spent 3.30 in Yummies near Star Beach for Chicken Gyros and 3.50 in the harbour for the same dish.

swindon,england
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spending money

There are a couple of restaurants in the villages where you will pay more,Galini and Emmanuels are two such places.But as others have said,there are plenty of other places that are more than reasonable.

A few places that i will mention that give great value and still serve up a treat are Rouga tou Mpaoula in Koutouloufari,Areston just down the hill which is very popular with the locals and also Sokaki down in Hersonissos.

S Wales
Level Contributor
110 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spending money

I didnt find Emmanuels much different to the rest. Maybe slightly higher - the specials from the wood oven and I think the chicken on the spit were i think 14 euros. Cheaper dishes there as well. Its where I spent the most but 3 of us went for the specials.

wigan
Level Contributor
245 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spending money

Where is ariston down the hill ? The only one I know was in agia galini 65miles away

Leeds
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spending money

Hi, first time to Crete and first holiday in five years! Myself and 17 year old son are self catering. No idea how much spending money to take? Single parent on a budget!! Any help greatly appreciated.Staying in Koutouloufari.

Thanks

Edited: 17 August 2016, 02:32
Get answers to your questions about Koutouloufari
Recent Conversations