We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Correct pronunciation of Koutouloufari

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Correct pronunciation of Koutouloufari

Hi Guys

Am new to this so can you please advise the correct way to pronounce the name of the village?

also any tips in regards to the place would be most appreciated - we will be staying at the Astra apartments in August 2016.

We will be celebrating our wedding anniversary whilst over there so any tips for a romantic meal location would be great as well

Cheers

Jason

swindon,england
Level Contributor
4,042 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Correct pronunciation of Koutouloufari

Had to think a bit on that one,but the locals seem to say it as Koo-too-la-far-e.but i have often heard it said as koot-la-far-e,mainly by us Brits.

As regards a romantic meal location in the villages your spoilt for choice,but our favourite taverna/restaurant the past couple of years has been the Rouga tou mpaoula.Which from next year will have a larger seating area to the rear for the great views out across the bay below,it really is special,excellent food that's that bit differnt from the usual,excellent genuine friendly service and the prices are very fair.

2. Re: Correct pronunciation of Koutouloufari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2015, 18:22
Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Correct pronunciation of Koutouloufari

Thanks for that Aegeanrider

We normally go to Kos and the resort of Kefalos which is another small resort so we are hoping to experience the same sort of welcome (although of course we wont get the friends welcome that we get there for this first visit)

Mentioned in this post
Kos
Kos
Dodecanese, Greece
Kefalos
Kefalos
Kos, Greece
wigan
Level Contributor
227 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Correct pronunciation of Koutouloufari

Best restaurant we went was the med cafe on the seafront next to the glyros hotel calling it cafe doesn't do the place justice we were there in august and had a meal for my birthday/wedding anniversary we had been the previous year where we had a table at street level this time though I went down three days early and reserved a table directly on the beach the food and service was fantastic they pandered to our every need a most special experience one we will treasure so I left a £20 tip

5. Re: Correct pronunciation of Koutouloufari

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,702 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Correct pronunciation of Koutouloufari

Hi

There is a restaurant in the middle of the resort of Hersonissos. I just can't remember the name, It must be just around the corner of that big wall on the right of this point of view: https://www.instantstreetview.com/@35.318331,25.391859,68.06h,-1.77p,2.32z

To make myself clear I haven't tried the food but the place for your occasion looks great. You walk a couple of stairs to get to sea level on a cement ground. It has white tableclothes and on the chairs. It is very romantic.

The food in the area downtown Hersonissos is nothing special. Better try the ones on Koutouloufari and Piskopiano.

One more vote from me too for the Rouga tou mpaoula at Piskopiano. It has just a couple of tables on the balcony at the rear side of the taverna, so I suppose you might want to book that table in advance. The view is just great from there.

Great food, and a such a large variety of deserts to choose free of charge at the end.

One more idea is to have an evening drink at Kahloua at the end of the beachfront.

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@35.316532,25.393948,90.12h,-30.59p,1z

Mentioned in this post
Hersonissos
Hersonissos
Crete, Greece
Koutouloufari
Koutouloufari
Crete, Greece
Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
800 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Correct pronunciation of Koutouloufari

Good question re the pronunciation and I have heard it pronounced in many ways. My vote goes for 'AegeanRider' above, but I wouldn't discount 'Scaffolder's effort either - I have heard both!

Many good restaurants & tavernas up in the villages would fit the bill for your special meal. Have a look at Galini Restaurant in Koutouloufari as an option.

Mentioned in this post
Galini
Galini
1,026 Reviews
Crete, Greece
Koutouloufari
Koutouloufari
Crete, Greece
Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,702 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Correct pronunciation of Koutouloufari

Thumbs up for Koo-too-loo-fa-re from a Greek :o)

9. Re: Correct pronunciation of Koutouloufari

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
2,094 posts
467 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Correct pronunciation of Koutouloufari

The Alchemist in Koutouloufari gets my vote. Superb food and even better service.

Mentioned in this post
The Alchemist
The Alchemist
1,938 Reviews
Crete, Greece
Koutouloufari
Koutouloufari
Crete, Greece
Get answers to your questions about Koutouloufari
Recent Conversations