We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Houseboat from Cochin to Kumarakom

Mumbai, India
7 posts
Save Topic
Houseboat from Cochin to Kumarakom

Hi,

I am planning for a trip to Kerala with my wife from 24 to 28 Aug. The intention is to take a break from our day to day lives. So we would like to have a relaxed and a peaceful time while being close to nature.

Currently the itinerary looks like this:

Day1: Cochin (Taj Malabar, but still not sure about it)

Day2: To Alleppey and overnight in a houseboat. Check out at Kumarakom

Day3&4: Kumarakom (Cocunut Lagoon)

My queries:

1. Is it possible to take a houseboat from Cochin to Kumarakom or the other way round and avoid going to Alleppey?

2. Would the weather pose a problem for overnight stay in a houseboat?

Regards,

Anuj

Edited: 11 August 2013, 20:36
Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
948 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Houseboat from Cochin to Kumarakom

It may not be possible to take a houseboat on rent from Kochi to Kumarakom or vice versa and even if it is available it will be really expensive. However sometimes speedboats may be available for sure. There are some companies that provide you the same.

Weather conditions will depend on the luck. Usually it may not create an issue unless the rains are very very very heavy and torrential

Mumbai, India
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Houseboat from Cochin to Kumarakom

Thanks a lot for your reply. I think I will go with the original plan of going to Alleppey and then taking a house boat overnight to Kumarakom

Regards,

Anuj

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Houseboat from Cochin to Kumarakom

Yea, That is the best option. Ramada resorts is also a good option in Cochin.

Cheers,

Arun

Team Experience Kerala

Mumbai, India
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Houseboat from Cochin to Kumarakom

Thanks Arun,

After researching a bit about the backwaters, came to the conclusion that day trip in shikaras would be more suitable to our requirement as they are smaller and hence can get into narrower canals. So dropping the idea of overnight stay in a houseboat.

The itinerary now looks much simpler:

Day 1&2: Kumarakom (Coconut Lagoon)

Day 3&4: Cochin (Taj Malabar)

Going by some threads on this forum, 2 nights at Cochin seemed to be on the higher side. But I was attracted by the laid back atmosphere of fort Cochin and the cultural scene.

My query now is, what would be a good route for a day trip in the Kumarakom backwaters if we opt for a smaller boat like shikara.

Regards,

Anuj

5. Re: Houseboat from Cochin to Kumarakom

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2014, 11:49