We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Cruise by Houseboat in Kumarakom

kolkata
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Day Cruise by Houseboat in Kumarakom

Hi!

We want to do a day cruise by houseboat in Kumarakom as a day-night one will be a bit tight on our schedule, can anyone suggest how that can be done? What are the durations of these day trips? Approx cost for me, my husband a child of 10? We'll be staying in Coco Bay Resorts - very near bird sanctuary. From where can we book these houseboats - should we do it in advance? We'll be arriving in Kumarakom one evening and have to do this day trip the next day itself. So no time for information searching once I reach there.

Looking forward to your suggestions, please.

Riya_c

Chennai
Level Contributor
46 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Cruise by Houseboat in Kumarakom

You can hire day cruise on a house boat. The charges commence from Rs 5,000 and go upto Rs 25,000. They start about 11 am and dock back in the evening by 5.30. Another option is to take a smaller boats (miniture hosue boat) which usually charge 350 bucks an hour. I personally won't recommend this as, you won't be relaxed and unsafe if you are having a 10 year old.

I had booked it through Vedic Routes and you can in touch with Fen Jacob 9400054458 who did a good job in getting it arranged.

cheers and enjoy your trip

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
958 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Cruise by Houseboat in Kumarakom

You can arrange day cruise with any reliable houseboat operator in Kumarakom. If the resort has a jetty and faces backwaters the houseboat can pick you up from there by around 11 AM and the cruise will be till 5 PM with all the meals, tea and snacks served on board.

The cost will vary depending upon the facilities in the houseboat but since you are doing a day cruise go for something that suits your budget. The costs will be 750 Rs per person and 1000 Rs per hour with a minimum charge of Rs.4000. However this will also vary from boat to boat

Amritsar, India
Level Contributor
106 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Cruise by Houseboat in Kumarakom

Hi, sorry to intervene in between.. @ TA Experts. and Friends, We would be staying in Munnar for 5 days and wish to go to Kumarakom from there.. What is the cheapest mode of travel and how long will it take from Cochin to Kumarakom ? We will be landing at Cochin Airport to go to Munnar, which i think is the nearest Airport.. Do we have to go back to Cochin to catch the flight back to Delhi or there is any other Airport near Kumarakom to fly us back to Delhi ? We would like to spend 2 days in Backwaters.. How much will it cost for a couple ?

Thanks in advance..

kolkata
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Cruise by Houseboat in Kumarakom

Hi!

My research says Cochin is the nearest Airport to both Munnar & Kumarakom. Kochi Airport to Kumarakom takes around 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. Kochi to Munnar takes around 4 hrs. Going to Kumarakom frm Munnar and coming back on the same day will not be feasible. You can reach Kochi - travel directly to Kumarakom spend a night or two there and then proceed to Munnar.

Hope u find this useful.

Riya

Amritsar, India
Level Contributor
106 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Cruise by Houseboat in Kumarakom

Thanks a lot.. Riya for the great inputs..

Chennai
Level Contributor
46 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Cruise by Houseboat in Kumarakom

Hi Vaneet75,

The best and cheapest way to travel from Munnar to Kumarakam will by bus (no trains @ Munnar). Please ensure you take KSRTC as they only stop at the designated places unlike the private oprerators, where they stop anywhere to pick up the passenger which will delay your trip further. You have two options from munnar, either you can go to Kottayam and from there you can take another bus to Kumarakom. However, the frequency of buses to kottayam aint so great. Another, option is enroute cochin (munnar cochin 5 hours by bus and 4 hours by car) and from there take a bus to which goes Kumarakom. You will have to come back to Cochin to catch your flight to Delhi and the distance will be aproximately 80 to 100 kms. If you are nto staying and fancy resorts at Kumarakom, I suggest you head off to Alleppey where you can brgain for house boats on an hourly basis or for the whole day.

Second suggestion, will be to cut short your stay @ munnar from 5 days to 3. If you hire a bike there, you can see most of the places in three days (at a radius of 40 to 50kms)

Hope it helped....cheers and enjoy your trip

Amritsar, India
Level Contributor
106 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Cruise by Houseboat in Kumarakom

Thanks a lot .. Tomtharakan for your great inputs.. I am grateful to you.. How far is Alleppey from Munnar ? After reaching at Cochin Airport, should we go to Munnar first and Alleppey later ? What would be the viable itinrerary ? How many days in Alleppey should we spend ?. We want to make a 7 day holiday, seeing Hills in Munnar and Backwaters too..

Thanks in advance.

Chennai
Level Contributor
46 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Cruise by Houseboat in Kumarakom

Hi Vaneet75,

Munnar Alleppey is roughly 180 to 200kms Since you will be arriving from Delhi, I suggest you head off to Allepey first (max 2 hourrs drive from the airport). Munnar by bus will take 6 to 7 hours and by car it will take you 5 hours. This will exhaust you after your flight . If you are looking for some place worth your money then I suggest you stay at http://www.vallisgardens.com/(15 kms form Alleppey and its close to marrai beach) a real cozy and clean place. Probably the next day you can have a house boat cruise at Alleppey. the rates can be found at keralahouseboat.org/kerala-houseboat-tariff.… I belive these rates are high by 10 to 15%, so check if you can bargain with the boat owners. On day three or four you can start off to Munnar; they do have buses but it is recommended you take a cab as there some scenic stop overs. Probably, the recommeded itenary will be 2 days and 2 nights at Alleppey (One night at a hotel and one night if you get a good deal in a house boat) 3 days 2 nights at munnar and if you have an extra day, vist to fort cochin.

Hope this helped

Amritsar, India
Level Contributor
106 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Cruise by Houseboat in Kumarakom

Thanks a lot.. tomtharakan for the details.. Great inputs.. i am Grateful..

Regards,

kolkata
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Cruise by Houseboat in Kumarakom

My thanks to you too tomtharakan - though the discussion digressed from my initial enquiry :-) since my basic objective is also travel to Munnar and Kumarakom I found your inputs useful. Thanks.