We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting on a Sunday - how busy

australia
Level Contributor
341 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting on a Sunday - how busy

Hi All,

We are planning on visiting Ostia Antica on Sunday 7th September, 2014. We tried to book on line but was advised it was a ' free sunday '. That is great but what concerns me is :

How busy will it be that ' free sunday '. Unbearable in terms of crowds or Ok ?

How hot will September be generally ?

Full day too much in Antica ?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Ostia Antica
Ostia Antica
Province of Rome, Italy
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,392 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting on a Sunday - how busy

I love visiting Ostia Antica. I often go for a full day. I have been there in Feb, Dec, March, and April and it has never been busy. In the winter it is down right deserted.

It will still be hot in Sept, but Ostia has trees

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

Mentioned in this post
Ostia Antica
Ostia Antica
Province of Rome, Italy
australia
Level Contributor
341 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting on a Sunday - how busy

Hi there,

I just checked on the website that the Sunday I want to go is the ' FREE SUNDAY '. Will this mean the place is over run with tourists and locals visiting the site. It was this reason I cancelled the Collesseum Tour that I originally planed for that day. I am still going regardless but trying to avoid the huge crowds when I can... going Sunday 7 September ....

Any advice is appreciated....

3. Re: Visiting on a Sunday - how busy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 December 2015, 20:45