We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weekend rental

Lethbridge,AB
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
weekend rental

Hi, we are looking for a vacation rental that will sleep six for mid August and were just wondering if anyone can guide us as to how we go about doing this? We would need it from a Thursday to Sunday and hopefully would allow a small dog? Thanks!!

5 replies to this topic
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,315 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weekend rental

Check the listings here on TripAdvisor (they come from FlipKey, a sister site to TA), and also, if you google, you will find dozens of sites where vacation rental owners list their homes. www.vrbo.com is one of the biggest. Be aware, however, that August is high season, and it is very likely the minimum rental period for a cottage is one week. This is quite common with vacation rentals, especially where the prime season is very short and demand is high, because of the time and effort required to clean the home for the next guests.

Blind Bay, BC
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weekend rental

You might some here :

…kijiji.ca/f-Canada-Alberta-Central-Alberta-…

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,315 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weekend rental

Yes, but be very careful using kijiji or Craig's list. If you do a bit of googling, you will find that they are sometimes used for accommodation scams. If you wire money off to someone who is offering a place on kijiji and it turns out that they (and your $) disappear, or that the cottage you think you have rented doesn't exist, you have no recourse. VRBO and FlipKey are listings that the home-owner has to pay for, so it's more likely they are legit, especially if they have been on either of those sites for some time ... if there are complaints about scams, they would be removed. And while I have read that there have been scams where their listing or email account has been hacked, it's not as likely there will be a problem as with freebie sites like kijiji where just anyone can put a free ad. It's safer if you can find someone who will accept a credit card payment, but that is not very common with vacation rentals, unless they are managed through an agency.

Suiteasitgets, I am a little surprised that as a B&B owner, you would not be aware of this - ?

Edited: 13 January 2013, 07:22
Blind Bay, BC
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weekend rental

Krp I actually have a listing with Kijiji & get a fair amount of my vacation rental business from there.

I make sure that my other sites are linked to the Kijiji ad to prove my legitimacy.

I don't accept credit cards with either my B&B rooms and vacation rental. Costs of not accepting credit cards helps to keep my prices reasonable.

I find that Kijiji has a more legitimacy feel to it rather than Craigslist. Of course one must do their due diligence when checking out any rental.

I would of suggested Vacationrentals.com but there are no listing for Sylvan Lake. : (

Blind Bay, BC
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: weekend rental

Doing a bit more checking this morning & found this site as well :

…worldweb.com/Lodging/…

Reply to: weekend rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sylvan Lake
Recent Conversations