We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Clara or Cienfuegos?

Koszalin, Poland
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Santa Clara or Cienfuegos?

Hi there!

I'd like to ask you which of this places shall I choose for two days stay? We'll be in Cuba in three weeks (5-22 February), of course individually, and plan to do route Havana-Vinales-Cienfuegos OR Santa Clara-Trinidad-CC-Matanzas-Havana. The proble is that we don't have enough time for both Cienfuegos and SC. Which one is better? Is SC worth to visit only for mausoleum of Che? Each advice will be appreciated :)

Greetings from Poland!

17 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santa Clara or Cienfuegos?

Hi, We've just did a similar trip beginning of January and I'd highly recommend staying 2 nights in Cienfuegos and only stop-by at Santa Clara if at all. Che's mausoleum is worth a visit, but don't consider more than 1h in Santa Clara overall.

Edited: 30 January 2017, 00:10
Consett, United...
Level Contributor
21,228 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santa Clara or Cienfuegos?

Oh my. It takes over an hour to d" do " Che and the other things in the city.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
620 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santa Clara or Cienfuegos?

I have the same question for the same reason; time....

The drawcard for me to going via Santa Clara is the side trip to Remedios but I'm wondering if this would still be the better option over Cienfuegos or is Cienfuegos the one to see?

If we do the Santa Clara route - should we overnight in Remedios or Santa Clara?

Thanks heaps!

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
18,535 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santa Clara or Cienfuegos?

There will never be one "right" answer because a lot depends on personal taste, and how things work for you.

Overnight ? How many nights do you have ?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
620 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santa Clara or Cienfuegos?

Hi #4 -thanks for responding!

We'll be travelling from Vinales to Trinidad and do not want to just rush from point to point so I was thinking to at least overnight in Remedios/Santa Clara or maybe 2 nights in Cienfuegos as we may need more time in Cienfuegos (or is 1 night in Cienfuegos sufficient?) Still at the early stages of planning and trying to figure out an itinerary.

We're visiting Cuba for the history, architechture, culture, photography etc and not so much beaches or resorts although we would like to spend maybe a day on a beautiful beach off the beaten track as a day trip from one of the places we'll visit. We'll be staying in Casa Particulares where possible and want some time to just sit an people watch or spend some time with locals. Not sure wether the Santa Clara/Remedios or the Cienfuegos option would best fit this plan...

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Santa Clara or Cienfuegos?

Vinales is definitely a most see. There is an Orchid garden on your way there and it is spectacular. I have been to Cuba several times, well as I was actually born there. Best places in Cuba are Vinales and if you could go any where else, it is the entire road of la Farola to Baracoa. That is the real Cuba.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
620 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Santa Clara or Cienfuegos?

Wow thank you! Great to get some advice from a local. We would definitely want to experience the true Cuba!

Kitchener, Ontario
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Santa Clara or Cienfuegos?

Vinales is beautiful , but really , the real Cuba ? WOW , what I seen when I was there, was tourist shops and tourists .. Pinar del Río down the road abit is more Cuban ..... Remedios,Santa Clara or Cienfuegos all have different things to offer.... and still have a lot of real Cuba left .. you will find it, if you walk of the main streets ...

London, Canada
Level Contributor
382 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Santa Clara or Cienfuegos?

Cmon JL Varadero is the real Cuba. Haha.

Canada
Level Contributor
5,060 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Santa Clara or Cienfuegos?

If the "real Cuba" is a place where there are no tourists, go to Santa Clara but avoid all the interesting places. It's a very nice city.

Reply to: Santa Clara or Cienfuegos?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted