We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Almaplena

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
556 posts
125 reviews
Almaplena

My grandma and I are looking for a secluded beach that is close to the cruise port and safe. Would you suggest Almaplena?

If you've been and would reccomend it. What made you love it?

4 replies to this topic
maine
Level Contributor
912 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: Almaplena

Almaplena is about 7 km from town. A 15 minute cab ride on the paved road, about 35 minutes on the beach road. It is low keyed and off the grid. Depending on the sargassum situation, the beach is beautiful and the swimming is great. There is also a reef right off shore so there is good snorkeling. Not so much with the sargassum, but that's pretty much everywhere. The restaurant is just OK... nothing to write home about.

Absolutely safe, probably far safer than Columbus. :)

Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Almaplena

I have been to Almaplena quite a few times, initially when I was on a cruise, then a few years later when I rented a villa with a friend in Puerto Angel, south on the beach road from Almaplena. It is a really nice, small, cool little place that feels really remote and private. We had them arrange for a masseuse to come a couple of times for massages right on the beach. It was very private since Almaplena limits the number of cruise day people it will host so as not to crowd the small number of guests at the “resort”. I thought the restaurant was really pretty good. I would thoroughly recommend it - it was a nice way to get away from the crowds that can be part of a cruise.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
556 posts
125 reviews
3. Re: Almaplena

Thank you both it looks very lovely in the picture will put this one at the top of my list. I prefer to see natural beauty and not an over crowded beach club so this may be perfect.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Almaplena

Thanks for asking! We are also thinking of going here as Maya Chan is booked when we are in port. I would prefer the limited guests and being farther away from venders..

I will make a note to request the massages as well ahead of time.. sounds lovely.

Reply to: Almaplena
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Costa Maya
Recent Conversations