We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When do cruise ship passengers depart? Areas to avoid?

Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
When do cruise ship passengers depart? Areas to avoid?

Hi, we were going to add Mahahual to our itinerary for (2) nights. We will be coming from Bacalar and I see a cruise ship will be there on our first day in Mahahual on June 29th..but so far haven't seen anything for June 30th. Just curious but what time do passengers leave? We were thinking of taking our time exploring the lake in Bacalar and then arrive as passengers are leaving. Also, if for some reason there are passengers on June 30th is there an area on the coast less frequented that we can drive to? Thank you.

4 replies to this topic
Yucatan Peninsula...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
9,283 posts
1. Re: When do cruise ship passengers depart? Areas to avoid?

Passengers start returning to ships in late afternoon -- from memory, I think 5pm is the deadline and the ship sails shortly after that.

There are roads that go farther north & south from Mahahual. To the north, I've been as far as Rio Indio -- not much up there except some private homes. To the south, you can drive to Xcalak -- good access to the beach. Better take your own food & water.

Edited: 19 May 2017, 21:47
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
2. Re: When do cruise ship passengers depart? Areas to avoid?

Great, thank you!

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
3,189 posts
37 reviews
3. Re: When do cruise ship passengers depart? Areas to avoid?

The schedule shows 1 boat in on June 29. Arr 8am leaving at 5pm. Nothing the next day. There are some beautiful beaches about 10k-12k south of town with great sand and nice coral heads for snorkeling, just past the Almaplena resort. You could even use them if you wanted chairs and a bar and restaurant. This is some of the nicest beach on this coast in my opinion. Sea life and coral here is awesome.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
33,178 posts
6,438 reviews
4. Re: When do cruise ship passengers depart? Areas to avoid?

If the schedule says the ship departs at 5:00, they usually want the passengers back on at 4:30 and the cruise staff at 4:00 p.m Many passengers wander by the stores by the ship area on the way back, so most will be out of the other parts by 3:30 or 4:00. We were just there on the NCL Pearl and had a wonderful time.

Reply to: When do cruise ship passengers depart? Areas to avoid?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Costa Maya
Recent Conversations