We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mbv- Food

Manchester
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Mbv- Food

The food reviews on here seem very hit or miss is it because of peoples expectations i.e expecting 5* quality.

If you had to rate it what would it be and is that every meal or breakfast lunch dinner.

I assume the drinks are fine and the cava is chilled so if the food is crap it is a liquid diet for 2 weeks unless dominos deliver.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,836 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mbv- Food

Lol. I personaly didn't care too much for the food at MBV to be honest. I had 3 breaskfasts and 2 lunchs there and decided to have all my remaining meals at other resorts after that. Now I hear that the Los Naviguantes a la carte restaurant is excellent especially if you like seafood but I did not try it. Also the pizza restaurant is good at lunch.

I love buffets and the idea of having an omelett made in front of you as per your specifications for breakfast. MBV only has a mini buffet (a joke in my opinion) for breakfast and a la carte. The fresh fruits were fabulous though. So, I was not impressed by selection nor by the quality. It was all very blah to me. Not because I'm in Cuba because I've eaten much better at MCSM, MLD and Barcelo.

But the redeeming thing for me at MBV is you can go eat in any other MElia chain hotel so I had my meals at MCSM and MLD from that point on and it was all very good.

The new manager at MBV was the food & beverage manager of MCSM. This might change things soon for the better at MBV.

I loved everything about MBV but the fact there was not a full buffet, food selection was limited in my opinion and taste was blah. Also, buses to other hotels were not on schedule so I found myself waiting a whole lot. Everything else was what you would expect of a 5* and then some. It is a wonderful hotel in a breathtaking setting, i highly recommend.

Manchester
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mbv- Food

Thanks nadma I suspect I will use other hotels for food walk down the beach for breakfast walk back and then hit the liquid. If the buses are hit and miss what is the price of a taxi as this may be a better option.

The entertainment reviews on here say it is low key some jazz live bands but high quality is this the case?

Went to the sol rio in Feb and food wasnt great booze was ok beach was good but overall happy with what I got for the price. Sometimes you cant have everything in life so if the accomadation is good the booze is good the staff are good the beach is good the entertainment is good it aint all bad is it. Unless I am missing something or the glass is half full in my hand but half empty in the next persons.

England
Level Contributor
112 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mbv- Food

Hi Craigpurvis

I'm with you! If the food is the only issue, there's no hardship in walking along the white sandy beach or catching the bus to the other hotels! At least at the MBV you get something like 14 restaurants to choose one! Thats a different one every night of our holiday ;o)

Also think I read in one of your previous posts that we'll be checking in together, 23 days 18 hours snd 39 minutes till take off ;o)

Becca

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,836 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mbv- Food

Your welcome! Yes, MBV is a great place to stay! Quiet, brand new, spa/zen feel to it, great staff (say hi to my good friend Oreste at pool bar), great facilities, great rooms, beautiful natural beaches, nice entertainment, good drinks, and some decent food too, it's not bad by all means. And you have the option for going to use the facilities of the other Melia hotels too so there should not be any complaints! If you are bored at MBV, go spend day at MCSM or MLD! It's great!

Taxi were best resrved in advance, it can be hard to find them at certain times or on certain days. I think it was 2 CUC to the other MElia hotels each way. Not bad at all. IT is quite the walk to the closets hotels by the beach... unless you re an avid walker, in the cuban heat and sun, i suggest you take the bus or cab! :)

Manchester
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mbv- Food

Becca,

Can`t wait I do not belive the food can be that bad, and if it is so what as long as my mini bar is full and there is a bottle of red and white and cava chilling in my room i am happy.

Does anyone know has room service improved and will they deliver full bottles of vino/cava to your room? Reason being If they don`t that poor waiter is going to be rushed of there feet as I will be ordering non stop. Leave the bottle you know it makes sense my Cuban friends. The same goes for the bar leave the bottle saves me waiting and saves you serving.

London, United...
Level Contributor
177 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mbv- Food

No wine in your mini bar. You'll get a few cans (2 or 3) beer, water (sparkling and still) and soft drinks.

They didn't do bottle service to the room when we were there.

Yes, the food was rubbish - but then you've read my reviews.

England
Level Contributor
112 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mbv- Food

Hi Royal

We all get that you had a bad holiday! But is it nessisary to posts comments like this on every topic on here about the Buenavista. The topic is clearly for people who have booked and would, even after your continual rants, still looking forward to going. I for one would appreciate no more bad comments as I would like to go on my much deserved holiday in 2 weeks and make up my own mind!

Thank you

London, United...
Level Contributor
177 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mbv- Food

Hi Beccaleam,

Last time I checked, this was a forum for discussion. Asking questions and the like. I'm answering a question - plain and simple.

I urge you to look up the definition of 'rant' if you think what I am doing is ranting!

Go, enjoy your holiday. I do hope you do. I hope things of changed. Fingers crossed.

I, in fact had a glorious holiday in Cuba, it was just the time spent at the Buenavista that was a joke and the Melia group whom were an embarrassment to deal with.

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mbv- Food

I went to the Melia Buenavista in May of this year and the only good food was the pizza at lunch. The breakfast in the morning was always lukewarm and if you ordered off the menu it took at least 45 min to an hour for it to arrive, and it seemed warmed up. MLD and MCSM has great restaurants, but keep in mind that they are very hard to book! Your "butler" is supposed to take care of everything, we ended up only going to two a la cartes for dinner because they were all booked up. If you get a chance, the Italian at MLD is delicious! The only good thing about Buenavista were the rooms, and the pools. I would definitely not fork out the extra money we paid to go again. Just being honest.. I wish there were more realistic reviews before we booked our vacation!

courteney

10. Re: Mbv- Food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 08:48