We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car hire

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
358 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
car hire

thinking we may hire a car to get around island, any reasonable &reliable companys,

thanks

chris

Prudhoe...
Level Contributor
97 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car hire

Try

www.economycarrentals.com

They have been our cheapest for the last two years

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
946 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car hire

Are there any hidden extras with them as I'm just looking and their quotes seem to be less than half of what some other sites are showing?

How reliable are they?

Do they charge for fuel upfront?

Where is the office in Protaras?

Do they charge for having it delivered to your hotel?

Do they class Pernera as Protaras (as the links suggest you can pick it up at a hotel in Protaras)

thanks

Steve

Troodos Mountains...
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car hire

I have used Economycars over last couple of years:

Car was picked up from and returned from Larnaca airport so do not know about hotel delivery / collection.

As ever things may change, this is our experience:

They do not have an airport office, guy waits at arrivals door with name card, you then find somewhere to lean on and complete paperwork then taken to the car close by or it comes to you.

They asked for you to return car with about the same amount of petrol as at start. (petrol now around €0.93 a litre and local paper says another reduction this coming week, prices are volatile up and down and lower than UK I believe)

Cars have varied from brand new medium 4x4 to older than the posh rentals will supply, but we had no problems.

They did not allow cars to be used in the North.

4x4 not needed unless you have serious off road plans (check that they allow off road use on insurance)or are there and going up Troodos in winter.

If you plan to go to mountain the smallest capacity cars will struggle at times on some gradients.

Return was abandon car in main car park, keys and car park ticket under the drivers seat, doors unlocked and walk away to check-in.

And we never had any problems with this to our surprise!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
946 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car hire

Has anyone else had any experience with them as at their prices I'm now seriously considering booking a car in advance ! (we had considered hiring one if we felt like it once there...but at those prices I don't think we will get a deal anywhere near as good)..

Do they actually have a place full of cars in Protaras as I've never spotted one ?

Steve

Malta
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car hire

Best I have found for price and reliability was Kostas at gorentacar. Contact him direct on 0035723834044 for a better quote than the website.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,772 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car hire

I used Economy Cars in May and will be using them again in October. First time I used them this year and most impressed. I can't find anything cheaper. You pay for petrol up front. No complaints whatsoever with them.

ireland
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car hire

Hi just back from Protaras last night, we hired a car a new Colt and it was E25 a day, dont know if you think that a good price or not, that inculded all insurance, delivered and collected at hotel, got it on the strip Z rentals (Thrisvi Travel and Tours) Lots of car hire available and lots of special offers. Be careful seem drivers driveing on the wrong side of road, and seen people passing on the hard shoulder on the motorways. But other than that driveing very easy and great roads.

8. Re: car hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2010, 11:47
Get answers to your questions about Protaras
Recent Conversations