We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time to Cyprus

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
10 reviews
First Time to Cyprus

We're hoping to go to Protaras (Tsokkos Beach) in September. Hubby says hes read in a brochure that toilet paper can't be flushed in Cyprus? Is this right????

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
144 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: First Time to Cyprus

Hello there, yes that is right. It is just like all the greek islands and you have to put your paper in a bin by the side of the loo! This actually is not quite as vile as it first sounds, we took those little scented nappy sacks with us and always put everything in there, it didn't smell at all and you do get used to it. The same also applies though for public loos and that can sometimes be unpleasant as you can well imagine. It certainly didn't spoil the holiday though so worry not it just seems alien at first.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: First Time to Cyprus

Thanks for the heads up. I don't think we'l be going to Cyprus after all then!

Scotland
Level Contributor
696 posts
97 reviews
3. Re: First Time to Cyprus

I am going back to Protarus in September for the 7th time. No problems with the toilets we always flush our toilet paper down the toilet, So get your holiday booked now you will enjoy your stay in Protarus.

Belfast, Northern...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: First Time to Cyprus

I'm about to book our third trip to Protaras and have had always put the toilet paper down the loo with no problems. Hope this helps Cyprus is beautiful so do go ahead and book your holiday there you will not be disappointed.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: First Time to Cyprus

Thanks for the info.

Will weather be okay last week Sept/first week Oct?

Scotland
Level Contributor
696 posts
97 reviews
6. Re: First Time to Cyprus

I am going on 29th September for 1 week and am pretty confident the weather will be fine.I have been in the midle of October before and it was still hot then.

South Wales
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: First Time to Cyprus

Never had a problem with flushing toilet paper when we were in Protaras, its a fantastic place. The weather will be fine, we went the last week of Oct and the first week of Nov and it was lovely, rained late one night but we went out walking in it as it was still warm.

Colchester
Level Contributor
507 posts
7 reviews
8. Re: First Time to Cyprus

The toilet situation varies mainly depending on when places were built, the older ones tend to have smaller pipwork so you have to use the bin. I would imagine most of the bigger hotels should be OK. There is normally a sign telling you.

london
Level Contributor
178 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: First Time to Cyprus

I have been to cyprus 4 times now and stayed in hotels and have always flushed the paper down the toilet, been to corfu before and you could not flush toilet paper and it was gross,cyprus is not like that, by my memory.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
19 reviews
10. Re: First Time to Cyprus

It would not stop me going to a country because you have to put toilet paper in a bin when you go abroad you do what their tradions say as other people have said take nappy sacks with you.

Get answers to your questions about Protaras
Recent Conversations