We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coral Coast- The Warwick

Queensland
Level Contributor
66 posts
61 reviews
Coral Coast- The Warwick

Hi. I have a couple of queries and would be grateful for any help thanks. We are staying at Warwick for a week next month. I saw somewhere where it was recommended to wear reef shoes in the water there and that sea snakes were a problem to be wary of. I must admit I was really looking forward to swimming there til I heard that. Also my husband is keen to do some fishing without the cost of a fishing charter. Is the area around the Warwick good for fishing. Does resort have rods etc for hire? He was wondering about the possibility of hiring a tinny(small boat) in the area for a day perhaps? Any suggestions of some reasonably priced tours nearby without traipsing back to Nadi? Thanks in advance

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: Coral Coast- The Warwick

We stayed at The Warwick last year. I took reef shoes to use but after using them once just went barefoot. The sand is suitable for even children to sit, walk and play without reef shoes. By all means if you have some you could take them but I wouldn't rush out and buy any. We saw a few snakes mostly near rocks but they were not a problem. We swam and snorkelled with ease.

Queensland
Level Contributor
66 posts
61 reviews
2. Re: Coral Coast- The Warwick

Thank you for that. I'd prefer not to see ANY snakes at all however - LOL!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
20 reviews
3. Re: Coral Coast- The Warwick

We are at the Warwick now and whilst having dinner at wicked we had a rather large sea snake come visit us . Kinda freaked me out ! There are heaps in the water , the brown ones don't move but the big black and white ones move around quite a bit. We wore reef shoes to walk along the beach outside the resort , couldn't have done it without. But if you're just talking walking out to the water from the resort you can do without.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
6,507 posts
295 reviews
4. Re: Coral Coast- The Warwick

I remember well those sea snakes that visit the Wicked Walu restaurant. They were big! The restaurant is obviously built on their home and I suspect the staff feed them by throwing surplus food into the water.

The staff were completely unconcerned and just encouraged them back into the water. We saw some every time we ate there.

I'd recommend swimming at the far end of the resort away from that restaurant. There didn't seem to be as many around there.

Edited: 01 July 2016, 05:45
Queensland
Level Contributor
66 posts
61 reviews
5. Re: Coral Coast- The Warwick

Thanks so much - we will be there next Friday - not used to worrying about sea snakes in regional Qld beaches! LOL. Was just wondering how prevalent they were should we decide to go SUP'ing and snorkeling. Think I would walk on water!!! LOL

6. Re: Coral Coast- The Warwick

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 July 2016, 19:35
Queensland
Level Contributor
66 posts
61 reviews
7. Re: Coral Coast- The Warwick

Thanks so much for the tip re where to swim! Duly noted. :-)

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
82 posts
32 reviews
8. Re: Coral Coast- The Warwick

We have been to the Warwick, two years ago. We are going back in August I took reef shoes for us and for peace of mind I will take them again. A open wound in the tropics can be bad. I didnt want to risk cuts on feet. I just bought cheap ones at Big W and they are still good btw. No need for expense

I didnt see any snakes at all but we did see sharks, ironically, around the seafood resturant at night (one thing I found a little off was that the staff member who thought it was funny to tell us they prefer eating white skin humans! I know he just thought it was humorous but.....that is deffinatly racist and certainly could be taken in offense. Also on this point for management notes if food scraps are cast into water it will encourage visitors from the shark population. I would instruct the resort staff very strictly on areas like this)

Will it stop me coming back or swimming . No! I'm am not a great swimmer or surffer and I felt quite safe in the water.

9. Re: Coral Coast- The Warwick

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2017, 10:48