We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

historic sites near Finikounda

Level Contributor
176 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
historic sites near Finikounda

We were plannimg to go to Sparti and Mystras but it is a long drive from Fini and ad it is very hot we decided to forgo this trip this time z(sadly). Can anyone recommend nearer sites? We have done Nestor.s palace and chora museum and we did Olympia last time

Can anyone recommend a nice cool.mountain drive with a nice taverns at the end of it?

Mentioned in this post
Mystras
Mystras
713 Reviews
Sparta, Greece
Olympia
Olympia
Elis Region, Greece
Mystras Private Day Trip from Athens...
1 Review
from US$ 159.00*
Small-Group Day Trip to Mystras from...
2 Reviews
from US$ 94.70*
Free Cancellation
Mystras Day Trip from Costa Navarino
from US$ 455.60*
Free Cancellation
10 replies to this topic
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
11,564 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: historic sites near Finikounda

Ancient Messene is the best site in the area, there's also a small museum. If you continue through the village you come to the Arcadian Gate & some of the original city walls. A bit further on from the Arcadian Gate there is some walls you can walk on with superb views :) There's a lovely taverna in the village (Mavromati) overlooking the site.

https:/…

For tomorrow or Wednesday when it should be a little cooler there is Methoni castle, a vast site, but mostly without shade,

Koroni castle (do walk through the monastery & climb for the views, as well as the ones over the beaches at the far end through the cemetery)

Pylos castle, again in the next few days.

A general drive around some of the villages in the hills can be cooler, especially if you catch a breeze! Lots of places to stop with views, too many to mention :)

Take a look at the full collection 'Local area' & see if anything other than the above mentioned catch your eye,

Mentioned in this post
Methoni Castle
Methoni Castle
562 Reviews
Methoni, Greece
Koroni Castle
Koroni Castle
215 Reviews
Koroni, Greece
Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
6,365 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: historic sites near Finikounda

Excellent advice above and I've nothing to add except to support Yiassas's recommendations.. Ancient Messene is a magnificent site (more extensive and interesting than Olympia and easier to understand what you're looking at). However it is a large, shadeless site so will be hot - but if it cools down a bit and you can get there early you'll be glad you did.

The castle at Pylos is huge and has wonderful views across the bay from its ramparts, there should be a breeze from the sea. There are interesting displays about underwater archaeology in shady niches around the courtyard right at the top, and there's a small air conditioned museum with a short video and displays of underwater finds.

The convent within Koroni castle is an absolute delight with a cool flower filled garden and great views from the upper levels. The nuns are welcoming and offered me a glass of water and some loukoumi last time I visited. Do dress appropriately, my OH had shorts on and had to put on a floral printed wraparound skirt to cover his legs, quite a sight! (I have seen tourists ignoring the signs requesting appropriate dress and although the nuns are probably too polite to tell people off, it is really disrespectful.) From the castle walls you can look down on Zaga beach which I think you missed on your last visit :-)

I hope you manage to stay cool and enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Mentioned in this post
Olympia
Olympia
Elis Region, Greece
Koroni Castle
Koroni Castle
215 Reviews
Koroni, Greece
Manchester,
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: historic sites near Finikounda

As has been said above don't miss Ancient Messene. We've visited a number of times and never bore of it (go early as it does get very hot).

My Avatar shows the view from the castle at Pylos. I'd also recommend as mentioned above.

Have fun!

Level Contributor
176 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: historic sites near Finikounda

Thanks all for all your tips

Off to messene tomorrow sounds just up our street.

Level Contributor
176 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: historic sites near Finikounda

Thanks guess is again...we went early to messene today..

amazing...ee left Finikounda at 7 30 and the roads were very quiet and we saw some a.axing coastline and mountain roads on the way

Loved the historic site...great mosaics and ampitheatres...wow...reallyt got a sense of history and what it was like to live in this huge complex..loved the museum.too...thanks so.much yo.you and all for the tips

Just to say the site opens at 8am not 9am as it said on the website...definately a good idea to go early...allow 3 hours to look around the site..very hot by 12...glad we were you g to the museum by then...thanks to all a great day..

Mentioned in this post
Finikounda
Finikounda
Pylos-Nestor, Greece
Level Contributor
176 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: historic sites near Finikounda

Thanks Yiasses again...we went early to messene today..

amazing...we left Finikounda at 7 30 and the roads were very quiet and we saw some amazinh coastline and mountain roads on the way

Loved the historic site...great mosaics and ampitheatres...wow...reall got a sense of history and what it was like to live in this huge complex..loved the museum.too...thanks so.much all

for all for the tips

Just to say the site opens at 8am not 9am as it said on the website...definately a good idea to go early...allow 3 hours to look around the site..very hot by 12...glad we were going to the museum by then...thanks to all a great day..

Mentioned in this post
Finikounda
Finikounda
Pylos-Nestor, Greece
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
11,564 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: historic sites near Finikounda

Glad you enjoyed! There's great scenery & views whichever way you go in that area :)

Did you see the Arcadian Gate & walls as well?

Edited: 26 July 2017, 19:33
Level Contributor
176 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: historic sites near Finikounda

I think we missed this. Never mind..

next time.

Enschede, The...
Level Contributor
1 post
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: historic sites near Finikounda

Have you visited the ruins of Ancient Messini? They are defenitely worthwhile and there is a nice taverna just above them.

Mentioned in this post
Ancient Messini
Ancient Messini
587 Reviews
Messini, Greece
Level Contributor
176 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: historic sites near Finikounda

Hi we are home in Manchester UK....mmmm miss Finikounda already...

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Finikounda
Finikounda
Pylos-Nestor, Greece
Reply to: historic sites near Finikounda
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Finikounda