We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
30 reviews
Flights

Getting there from NY is proving to be difficult without at least a 4 hour layover in San Juan. I am avoiding LIAT Air at all costs. Has anyone flown through San Juan and left airport while waiting for connection?

10 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
701 posts
127 reviews
1. Re: Flights

Why not just take Norwegian to ptp in Guadeloupe and take the ferry from there to Dominica?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
30 reviews
2. Re: Flights

Tell me more. I don't know anything about that. Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
701 posts
127 reviews
3. Re: Flights

well http://www.norwegian.com/us/ sells dirt cheap flights from Boston and NY to Guadeloupe or Martinique which are both right above and below Dominica.

Then you can take one of the daily ferries to Dominica on www.express-des-iles.com/index.cfm?lng=en

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
30 reviews
4. Re: Flights

Have you done this? If so , please tell me about your experience.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
701 posts
127 reviews
5. Re: Flights

Well I've flown in from Canada to Guadeloupe taken the ferry to Dominica and back, so pretty much same thing.

It's a pretty easy experience.

I have no idea when you're planning on going or how long, but I think my option is the best and cheapest too.

You might have to spend a night in Guadeloupe or Martinique depending on flight or ferry times, but you can pretty much fly into either island for around $200 USD return from NY or Boston and the ferry will be $120 Euro return

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
701 posts
127 reviews
6. Re: Flights

I guess I should add that other than cruise ships the number one way people visit Dominica is to take the ferry from Guadeloupe or Martinique. I met many people that did the exact thing I suggested. They flew in on Norwegian and took the ferry

Edited: 02 January 2017, 00:43
Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
3,121 posts
34 reviews
7. Re: Flights

There are flights from Guadeloupe to Dominica too, with Air Antilles. We've just booked them and for me it's the best solution: Not much more expensive than the ferry, but shorter (no transfer needed to the harbour in PTP) and I heard that the ferries don't operate in case of rough sea. And many people get seasick on the boat...

Largo, Florida
Level Contributor
26 posts
91 reviews
8. Re: Flights

Leaving the airport is very easy. Go to ground transportation and the taxi attendant will get cab for you. Most rates are pre-set, so you know the cost before leaving. We had a 6 hour layover coming back from Dominica, and used this time to tour the fort at Old San Juan and have an early dinner. When you are done in Old San Juan, there is another taxi stand in the center of town. Same arrangements. It's about 15 minutes into town and $20.00 each way. Very nice way to kill the time. Customs was super fast and we checked our bags before leaving. When we returned we had the driver drop us off at the gate and security checkpoint was right there.

Craftsbury Common...
Level Contributor
44 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: Flights

Finding the flights is a total pain in the butt. They're out there but the Caribbean regional airlines often don't show up on many search sites. Use this link to find the flight, then click through. Make sure to book a THROUGH TICKET. if you book connections separately your luggage won't go straight through.

http://dom.fltmaps.com/en

Brownsville, Vermont
Level Contributor
29 posts
36 reviews
10. Re: Flights

Well now, Doesn't that website make things much easier!! Normally it takes me days to find the best flight option to the island. I may have just done it in an hour!!

Reply to: Flights
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Portsmouth
Recent Conversations