We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

discover cuba trip..dolphins shelved

cheshire
Level Contributor
598 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
discover cuba trip..dolphins shelved

Whist at the scg rep informed us that swim with dolphins no longer included in this trip for 20 cuc extra. I was upset about this as id planned it as part of my Cuba experience. They have not long opened a dolphinarium on the island and wanted us to book that trip for 110cuc per person instead. Massive price difference and tourists are being railroaded into using this one. Luckily i met a lovely man who brought us to cienfuegos to experience this at a fraction of the cost. So just a word of warning if you were hoping to do this trip whilst there, i don't want you to be dissappointed

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: discover cuba trip..dolphins shelved

Was there anything stopping you going to the dolphins yourself?

If the facility is there then you can use it, but you do all the arranging yourself like you can do on the Cayo Santa Maria.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: discover cuba trip..dolphins shelved

All you had to do is go to the dolphinarium. it seems to be closer than driving to Cienfuegos. Loads of people just take the hop on hop off bus and go by themselves.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
6,216 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: discover cuba trip..dolphins shelved

If people keep paying to go to these abusement parks the dolphins do not stand a chance. Cayo Guillermo has been spoilt by putting this so called attraction at the marina. Cayo Guillermo is all about nature and wildlife, the poor dolphins once experienced being wild in the open ocean, now they are captured and only fed if they perform. So sad. I do not promote this activity. Sorry rant over.

Canada
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: discover cuba trip..dolphins shelved

This news has made my day! On another thread it was mentioned that the cock fight is no longer included in a Jeep Safari. I was tempted to say that I hoped the same would happen with the catamaran/dolphin packages but I refrained. Nice to see that good sense and compassion has taken another step forward! I look forward to the day that the cages are done away with for good.

Edited: 29 August 2013, 22:56
Consett, United...
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: discover cuba trip..dolphins shelved

The TC catamaran trip on the Cayo Santa Maria does not include the dolphins, but that is a H&S issue .

They do still offer the trip to Cienfuegos dolphins.

cheshire
Level Contributor
598 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: discover cuba trip..dolphins shelved

Yes i could have organised it myself on Cayo Guillermo but it worked out 270 cuc more expensive than the discover Cuba trip which is the point i was getting at really

Great Yarmouth...
Level Contributor
799 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: discover cuba trip..dolphins shelved

I was pleased when I read the headline, but the dolphin trips have not been shelved, just swithched to another location !!

cheshire
Level Contributor
598 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: discover cuba trip..dolphins shelved

On the discover Cuba trip they have. I agree its not their natural environment and its unfair of us to treat them in this way. But i did swim with them and they are truly amazing creatures

hfx
Level Contributor
4,617 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: discover cuba trip..dolphins shelved

well, I guess as long as you had a god time, that's the main thing; they are only fish afterall

Canada
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: discover cuba trip..dolphins shelved

/sarcasm appreciated :)

Get answers to your questions about Cayo Guillermo