We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paying by Credit Card

Beddau, Wales
Level Contributor
9 posts
32 reviews
Paying by Credit Card

It is rumoured that restaurants and other retailers are not accepting credit cards for payment , sometimes using the excuse that the card machine is broken or they are in dispute with the bank. Last year ,in Crete , our apartment owner , who we dealt with direct , told us we had to pay in cash even though there was no advance warning of this on the website when we booked. Our hotel has already been booked but I do not want to turn up with not enough Euros ( if Greece is still using them ! ) and not being able to get any from an ATM. What is the current situation.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,772 posts
65 reviews
1. Re: Paying by Credit Card

Hi.

Friend tried to pay for a restaurant meal last week in lindos and was told cash only which he did have, no problems drawing monies from atms . Yes euros only . Would use a debit card in machine and inform your provider you are visiting rhodes incase its not excepted.

Peter.

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,459 posts
2. Re: Paying by Credit Card

Outside the larger tavernas and hotels in Athens or Salonica I can't remember a time when credit cards were happily accepted in Greece.The card companies take quite a high percentage and take rather a long time to pay the vendor. Never stayed in any of the large package resorts so I can't comment on those. Apart from ATMs never used plastic. Or since ATMs appeared never found an empty one .

London, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
22 reviews
3. Re: Paying by Credit Card

As I know they only accept a cash in Greece in taverns or bars. But shops accept a credit card for sure!

P.s yes, Greece is still in European Union , so they have euros.

I used to get a cash in ATM's without any problem. Also you can find ATMs everywhere, even in a small villages.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
262 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Paying by Credit Card

I am in Pefkos now paid for car hire by credit card saw people using cards in the supermarket no problem I use cash for most things but always have a card with me never had an issue

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
27 reviews
5. Re: Paying by Credit Card

The current situation is the same as it's always been, most places would prefer cash especially if under a certain amount, regarding ATM'S Yes they do work but not all the time they have and can run out of cash nothing to do with the economy have you never had this in the uk??? , There are only 2 or 3 i think now in Pefkos but are not filled on a daily basis as in the uk. i wouid take as many euro's as you need use the room safes and keep your card as a back up better to be safe than sorry.

Seaham, United...
Level Contributor
432 posts
113 reviews
6. Re: Paying by Credit Card

Got back yesterday used CC no problem on ATM & in restaurants

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,189 posts
24 reviews
7. Re: Paying by Credit Card

You need cash anyway for snacks, newspapers, taxis, drinks etc etc, just keep it locked up...no need for CC.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,189 posts
24 reviews
8. Re: Paying by Credit Card

Current exchange rate at 1.3800...fill yer boots!

Greece
Level Contributor
17 posts
42 reviews
9. Re: Paying by Credit Card

CC - no problem what so ever, even on smaller islands. Indeed Greece is a cash country and many Greeks don't possess CC (unless they have 3 cards all maxed out!) so it does help to have cash on you, and they ALWAYS prefer cash payment. Paying for meals (ask beforehand if you are not sure) and tickets, credit cards are widely accepted. I will add though, they might not be willing to accept cards for a 3-euro purchase in a mini market.

Moray, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
109 reviews
10. Re: Paying by Credit Card

Used debit card on several occasions with absolutely no problems in various shops and restaurants.

Get answers to your questions about Pefkos
Recent Conversations