We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mozzy Repellants

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
163 posts
11 reviews
Mozzy Repellants

Hi all going to pefkos in late september for two weeks and the mozzys just love me and eat me alive. I use the usual plug in,s and the spray repellant that you can buy but it doesnt really work,well not for me anyway can any one recommend any other repellants? i,ve heard of garlic capsuals or some kind of avon skin cream do these really work?

Wirral
Level Contributor
6,790 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Mozzy Repellants

Hey

I was tipped off about a natural Eucalyptus based spray called Incognito. I used it for 2 weeks in June and not bitten once. It comes in a small black bottle sold online or in Holland n Baratt. About 6/7 quid. Check out the reviews on line, fantastic feedback. I would also recommend Avon Skin So Soft and take an anti histamine once a day from 2 weeks before u travel. I also believe taking Vit B tablets for a few weeks before u go helps, not sure which one though.l.

Mart

Edited: 16 July 2013, 13:08
Wirral
Level Contributor
6,790 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Mozzy Repellants

Hey

I beleive the Royal Marines use Avon Skin So Soft when on training/manouvres in the Scottish Hghlands to combat the incessant midgies.

Mart

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
163 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Mozzy Repellants

Cheers mart i,ll give anything a go fed up with looking like i,ve caught a tropical disease when i get back

Wirral
Level Contributor
6,790 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Mozzy Repellants

Hey

Good luck, it worked for me big time, but check out the reviews and come to an objective decision, I dont wanna be the victim of 'where theres blame there's a claim' if you get eaten alive :-)

M

Wirral
Level Contributor
6,790 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Mozzy Repellants

Hey

Sorry me again, I forgot to mention, I noticed a lot of Eucalyptus based, locally produced mossie products in several mini markets in Pefki, if the locals are selling it, there must be something to it.

Mart

Wirral
Level Contributor
6,790 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Mozzy Repellants

Hey

Last one I promise, the attached link might shed some light as to how it works

www.picaridin.info/lemon-eucalyptus.htm

M

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
2,387 posts
195 reviews
7. Re: Mozzy Repellants

Tiger balm worked out the best for me.

Just a little bit on the wrist and anckle

And i always put the fan on above the bed or sit under one.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
163 posts
11 reviews
8. Re: Mozzy Repellants

Hi mart,as you,ve just said there,s got to be something in it so i,ll certainly be looking out for those eucalyptus products, and as far as being eaten alive goes it cant be any worse that what i,ve tried before so no law suits will be filed ha ha

Wirral
Level Contributor
6,790 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: Mozzy Repellants

Hey

Looks like it is the 'lemon form of Eucalyptus' that works well.

Have a great time

M

UK
Level Contributor
3,302 posts
226 reviews
10. Re: Mozzy Repellants

We were in Pefkos last September and did not find mosquitoes a problem. That said, to be on the safe side I suggest doing the following:

Take a DEET containing skin repellant on ankles and exposed skin on evenings - the Superdrug aerosol one is really effective.

Use the air-conditioning in your room/apartment during the evening/overnight and keep the windows and doors closed.

Use a plug-in mosquito repellant. The liquid ones with a wick are the best.

Take high dose Vitamin B tablets - thiamine 100mgs - every day. Start taking them a few days before your holiday.

Apply the original "Avon Skin So Soft" dry oil spray to exposed skin during the evening.

Take an antihistamine tablet as soon as possible if you have been bitten to reduce the itch and swelling.

Apply lavender essential oil directly to the mosquito bite to reduce itch and swelling.

Enjoy! Pefkos is truly a lovely place for a holiday!

Get answers to your questions about Pefkos
Recent Conversations