We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

considering Stoupa

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
716 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
considering Stoupa

Hello, I hope you can help

We are looking at Stoupa for next yr amongst places for a family inc one 8 yr old. We have never been to the Greek mainland but adore the islands our favs being Samos and Skopelos for their beauty and genuine Greek flavour.

We like exploring by car, beaches both sandy and pebbles/rocks, eating! Wandering around little villages, historic sights and mountain views and remote hillside villages and staying somewhere where you get a mix of nationalities not just brits.

My question is would Stoupa suit us do you think and secondly what places are within a 2 hr drive of Stoupa to explore.

Also any other suggestions in addition to Stoupa, had been recommended Parga but felt it might not be for us

Thanks so much

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
6,677 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: considering Stoupa

Stoupa sits at the top of the Mani peninsula which is a fascinating area to explore. Driving south you will pass through ancient traditional villages with Byzantine churches and Maniot tower houses from which vicious blood feuds were conducted until relatively recent times. It is worth reading up on the history of the Mani before you explore. You can also get to the spectacular caves at Diros (Pyrgos Dirou) where you will be punted through the most amazing formations of stalactites and stalagmites. Closer still you can explore the villages in the hills right behind Stoupa, again a good guidebook will help you plan a route.

Heading north back towards Kalamata is Kardamyli, a pretty village with good tavernas and shops, and the picturesque ruined area of 'old Kardamyli' to explore.

As to whether you will like Stoupa, this depends on your personal preferences. It is the only place in the area with sandy beaches although I believe they do get crowded in season. We visited Stoupa for a day last year and found it too 'British' for our liking and the beach was too packed with sunbeds. It certainly doesn't have the charm or character of somewhere like Skopelos town. We would always stay for preference in Agios Nikolaos or Kardamili, both of which are more traditionally Greek in ambience and have more character. However Stoupa does have many, many devoted fans who will no doubt soon post replies telling you why they love it!

colchester
Destination Expert
for Stoupa
Level Contributor
2,283 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: considering Stoupa

Yes Bristolian, I am one of those fans. Not liking Parga much, Stoupa has it all for me, small in size, beautiful beaches, wonderful Greek villages in the hillsides, and amazing tavernas, and if you hire a car (Napolian in Stoupa recommended) the Mani is your oyster.

That said, there are only about 6 hotels with swimming pools, and there is nothing specifically for children laid on.

Do ask if there is anything I can help with, I'm off there in 2 weeks on my own (a 60 something female) and can't wait to get back.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
716 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: considering Stoupa

Thanks both for your advice, nursecarol, do I remember your name from the Dalyan forum, sorry if I have this wrong. We also love Dalyan and are looking for similar on Greece mainland eg a small town in an area we can explore. We are not keen on things like water parks, kids clubs etc

Thanks

colchester
Destination Expert
for Stoupa
Level Contributor
2,283 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: considering Stoupa

Rboo44, Yep, you are spot on. I am off to Dalyan, 2 days after I get back from Stoupa. The two places are a bit similar, in as much they are both quite quiet, Stoupa more so, as there are quite a few middle aged people there, mainly in May and September. I love them both!

Edited: 24 August 2013, 22:47
England, United...
Level Contributor
3,496 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: considering Stoupa

The biggest problem with Stoupa is the road. It's the same bits of frightening road to get anywhere, but there are some lovely places you can see if you can cope with it, or if you are happy to get off it quickly and brave the tiny local roads.

Stoupa is very popular with those who would love to stay in England on holiday but want the sun. When we were there we found people who loved the local food and noisily enjoyed it - the favourites seemed to be the deep fried mushrooms, pork schnitzel, steak in mushroom sauce and chips of course. It also has the opposite end of the scale though, rabbit stifado for example, at some of the smaller places.

It's the only place I've been where the beach was full - we walked town beach from end to end, it's quite big and there wasn't a place anywhere big enough to put 2 towels down.

colchester
Destination Expert
for Stoupa
Level Contributor
2,283 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: considering Stoupa

Skitandoori, I totally disagree with you. Admittedly I go to Stoupa in May and September, when it's mainly over 50 and 60's around, who also seem to be folk who like to ramble in the hillsides. The roads are very quiet, the local roads are empty and easy to travel on, and the beach is almost empty. I have never seen anyone eating the type of that you mention, but if I went in August I might well do. Early or late season Stoupa is a haven of tranquillity, quiet walking, empty beaches and wonderful local tavernas. Horses for courses I guess.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
6,677 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: considering Stoupa

Hmmmm, we visited in September and it definitely wasn't a haven of tranquility and the beach was packed ! I can't see any problem with the roads though, they are fine and mostly empty of traffic.

yorks
Level Contributor
77 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: considering Stoupa

I spent 2 weeks in Stoupa this July/August for the first time. The beaches were busy but I wouldn't say packed, you could always find a space. Kalogria beach was the busiest but not with english, it was the greeks on their hols! We never ate pork schnitzel or steak in mushroom sauce! I would say Stoupa reminds me of Anaxos, Lesbos, it has the same kind of feel and I would definitely go back there.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
6,343 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: considering Stoupa

Skopelos I have been, I did like it but found it quite geared up for tourists and comerialised. Stoupa is more laid back, I do go in September when the crowd is usually older though.

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,458 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: considering Stoupa

If you want the convenience of flying into Kalamata; have a look at the small resorts the other side of the airport, towards the small historic port of Koroni. Sunvil have some packages . The other side of the peninsula has Methoni , Pylos etc; get your map and guide book out.

Every beach resort in Greece is busy in the six weeks around August, but this area is certainly quieter than Stoupa and if you hire a car, the roads and driving will be easier.

Ancient Messini and other sites are an easy drive and it's pretty green away from the beaches with citrus, vines and lots of olive groves ( obviously)

Get answers to your questions about Stoupa
Recent Conversations